Community

Save more and spend less - Tips from money blogger Iona Bain

Started by: aggy_agate
On: 21/02/2018 | 14:44
Replies: 18

by: ray2
on: 23/02/2018 | 09:37 edited: 23/02/2018 | 09:38

Hi @aggy_agate

Sorry i missed this on facebook last night,just watched it with a crook in my neck as it's sideways on my laptop,but very interesting and some good tips,maybe a rotate so we can watch it front on would be a big help Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 11 of 19
by: aggy_agate
community giff-staffer

on: 23/02/2018 | 11:10

@k89bpa thanks for your feedback, really helpful. We'll definitely need to figure out Facebook Live. I think in terms of the platform it's the best one for us to use, but we need to find ways how to share the video for those who don't use Facebook. 

We had 2 other sets of cameras for YouTube series that will follow shortly, however, we want to get as many people as possible to join live of course. 

In terms of background noise, we're aware. I was running around the office trying to angrily hush people Smiley Very Happy next time we'll know to let everyone know beforehand. 

Really great to have your feedback on content too, as this was the first time we're doing this it wasn't clear how deep to go. We had some member questions prepared from the thread which were addressed at the beginning and then had only a few minutes left in the stream. 

Distribution wise, we had emails sent out a day prior to the event, also PMs and community posts, but I agree that we could have targeted more people. Again, we'll learn from this time. I think overall it went well, ideally, the camera wouldn't have flipped but hey haha luckily Shaina reacted to it and flipped the phone around. 

If you have any other ideas that could help next time please share, this is super helpful. Smiley Happy 

banner.png

Message 12 of 19
Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 23/02/2018 | 14:35
@aggy_agate

If you're gonna stick with only Facebook for the streaming then you are potentially blocking a lot of users, particularly on Android, (maybe all mobile), devices because to access them easily you need a Facebook account and you need to give Facebook permission to access pretty much everything about and on your mobile device.

By all means stick with Facebook as primary but consider simultaneous casting on a less invasive, more privacy conscious platform too.

Alternatively, don't, rather save them to the account as I believe they can be watched that way without much fuss, but you'll lose any live interactions from users who don't have Facebook accounts and don't want Facebook slurping everything from their devices.

The content, I'd definitely expand the run time to allow more in-depth coverage and responses to questions, it read much more as an introduction to the topics discussed rather than something with substance that would be of genuine practical use as it mostly covered only the basics already discussed endlessly here.

One particularly frustrating thing for me, a naturally curious person, was the "there are apps" line which was repeated a few times, but the apps were never named or discussed in depth as to their exact or primary functions, people viewing were left to google and perhaps install less reputable apps than the ones being referred to whereas if they were named...

I was quite surprised that when the question about mobiles was discussed it focused almost entirely on the phone contracts, sim only wasn't mentioned, even your own products weren't mentioned, and after the latest refresh they're market leading on PAYG and 1MSO by some distance. If you have fly by and drop in viewers once the series becomes more established you'd really be missing a trick not highlighting them, (obviously it's gotta be done carefully so it doesn't come off merely as a sales pitch but there's no reason why one couldn't highlight the competitiveness you have).

Same with the investments, it was talk of apps, how she's started investing rather than saving, and the warning about possibly losing money but not much else.

If seen Martin Lewis give more information in less time on a short segment on Watchdog, and even they leave me wanting to know more.

In terms of distribution, I'd recommend a sticky in every forum category linking to the main thread in this one, (certainly Money, General and Contribute, Announcements too), maybe a week in advance, and to advertise on social media too, that'll likely get more eyeballs and interaction than a mail bomb and relying on people visiting tips, which if they're anything like me they'll rarely, if ever, visit, (it's down to the design changes implemented, it used to be significantly easier to navigate the different sections, the design changes made it much more difficult so now I rarely bother), but a sticky linking and I'm much more likely to follow it as I suspect others are too.

Another thing you might wanna think about if this is gonna become a regular thing is creating a calendar people could subscribe to in their devices and making the details available across social media as well as here so that new events automatically appear in the schedules of those subscribed.

I've seen some companies and sports teams using this tool to great effect to keep people updated on what's happening in a totally friction free and spam free way. Then the upcoming events appear in their schedule and people can easily add reminders for them or if they're not interested remove them from their view. I'm subscribed to a few of interest to myself and it is something I find infinitely useful.
Message 13 of 19
by: jo20177
on: 25/02/2018 | 04:43

Hi my name's jo

Message 14 of 19
by: chand311
on: 27/03/2018 | 09:23

To save money always use your debit card never use cash 😉

Message 15 of 19
by: sibtahmed
on: 30/03/2018 | 20:22
  1. What a wonderful thought @chand311😉😉
Message 16 of 19
by: liamyoung1
on: 06/04/2018 | 15:02
I agree entirely with these comments - well presented and thought out.
Message 17 of 19
by: liamyoung1
on: 06/04/2018 | 15:04
May I ask what's the difference?
Message 18 of 19
by: sararodpec
on: 31/05/2018 | 22:30
That was really helpful!
Message 19 of 19