Knowledge Base
Community

Simple trick to find info you need on websites, pdf and documents | Toxiic’s Tips

Started by: toxiic
On: 13/04/2018 | 14:39
Replies: 13

by: toxiic
on: 13/04/2018 | 14:39

Simple trick to find info you need on websites, pdf and documents.

by toxiic

Searching through a hoard of words on a website or pdf can be an absolute nightmare. It takes a lot of time and sometimes just leaves you wondering why you tried in the first place. In a bid to make your life just a tad easier, I’m here to remind you ways that you can get straight to what text you’re looking

Note: that you probably already know these methods, but I’m sure a shocking amount of people forget about them, and instead opt to manually find the info needed.

Find on Page, Browser

The ‘Find in this Page’ / ‘Find on Page’ is a hero when it comes to highlighting the bits of info you actually need. This is luckily quite common on browsers nowadays. Simply click the 3 dots (Chrome + Microsoft Edge) or 3 bars (Firefox) and click “Find on Page” or anything of the sort. Then, just give a couple of words that might lead you to the paragraph you need hit Enter. That’s all.

A real-life example of this is when I needed to search through a pdf of “Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde”. I wanted to find which page a certain quote was on. So, I followed the instructions above and found that “Mr. Utterson stepped out and touched him on the shoulder” was on Page 10. That saved a fair bit of time reading through the other parts of the novella, nice!

Microsoft Word

A further example of this is the simple ‘Find’ option on most versions of Microsoft Word. Simply click ‘Find’ in the right hand corner, type in whatever keywords you like into the box with the Magnifying Glass then hit Enter. All of the instances of those key words will be highlighted and easily readable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that brings this quick reminder to an end. Save time and use these 2 methods to your advantage!

Anyway, if you did like this piece of content then feel free to check out my other content here: My Content.

Otherwise, leave some comments below about any recommendations or thoughts and I’ll be sure to get back to you.

Toxiic.

To view more content.pngTo view more of my content, click the blue text just under this, as arrowed in the picture above.

Message 1 of 14
by: dtuxcomp
on: 14/04/2018 | 00:56
@toxiic Nice tip mate. One of those things that usually only occurs to you after you've spent ages scrolling through pages of text Smiley Wink Smiley Happy
Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 2 of 14
by: davidevans0000
on: 14/04/2018 | 12:08
well done @toxiic a nice tip.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 14
by: isabel1066
on: 14/04/2018 | 16:27
@toxiic same from me well done on this very informative tip.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 14
by: chand311
on: 14/04/2018 | 22:41

Thanks @toxiic for your tip, very helpful. 

Message 7 of 14
by: sarahaxon
on: 16/04/2018 | 12:01
Control F is your friend for finding info.
Message 9 of 14
by: sheppola
on: 17/04/2018 | 19:35
And if you have a,"Scroll/Wheel" mouse Ctrl+the wheel Resizes the text on Web pages on-the-the fly if you have trouble reading the print Smiley Happy
If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 10 of 14