Community

Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact: Small in Size, Big in Performance

Started by: leeon1988
On: 07/01/2019 | 17:49
Replies: 2

by: leeon1988
on: 07/01/2019 | 17:49

[video]

It's been a while since compact size phones were the trend. We yearn for bigger screens as we use them for many tasks like consuming media, browsing the web, reading books and more. But if you are even one of those people whose preference is Android and desire to have a compact smartphone with flagship specifications, then we've got great news for you. Allow me to introduce to you the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact that launched aside with its bigger brother the Xperia XZ2. Though the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is a phone that fits nicely in hand, it's specifications both internal and external and features will blow you away. 

Specifications

Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 

Graphics chipset: Adreno 630

RAM: 4GB

Display: 5-inch LCD with a resolution of 2160x1080 and an aspect ratio of 18:9

Battery: 2870mAh

Charging Port: USB-C, Quick Charge 3.0 certified

Storage: 64GB expandable MicroSD 

Fingerprint Scanner: Yes

Headphone Jack: No

Rear Camera: 19MP Exmor RS, hybrid AF 960 fps slow-mo, 4K HDR video

Front Camera: 5MP f/2.2 23mm super wide-angle

Design

The phone doesn't have a premium feel to it because it is made up of plastic. However, there are some advantages of a utilising a plastic back. One of them being durability, plastic is a lot more durable than glass and even metal concerning drop protection. This means that it may not be necessary to purchase a case for this phone. The second advantage is that this phone is not a fingerprint magnet unlike glass and shining metal. Plastic devices aren't a bad thing, and their decision doesn’t bother me at all. The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is a chunky little monkey with 12.1mm thickness though it is not like the old Xperia phones with a boxy form, the sides are curved now and are made of aluminium. You are even able to take out the SIM tray without using a SIM pin. This phone is the exact same screen size as my Samsung Galaxy S6, yet it is smaller in size making it easy to hold one-handed.

Performance

As you can see the Xperia XZ2 compact is just compact in term of size and not concerning specifications because on paper it is a ball of fire. It boasts excellent specs of a high-end device and the Snapdragon 845 chipset, Adreno 630 and 4GB of RAM. This enables you to use several applications at once and no matter which game or app you are running on this device it will have no problem handling it.

Screen and Battery Life

Moving towards the screen, as you noticed the screen resolution is 2160x1080, It’s very sharp with vibrant colours with a density of 483PPI which is higher than the standard FHD resolution, i.e. 1920x1080 and with the battery power of 2870mAh. I was concerned that XZ2 Compact would struggle with battery life due to it's higher resolution. As with a more top resolution display, the more power and battery life is needed where in most circumstances means less battery life. Sony has included many battery life-saving settings to decrease battery consumption. The presence of USB-C port and Quick Charge 3.0 you can charge the smartphone from 0% to 100% in 30-40mins.

Camera

The Sony XZ2 Compact is also powered by great front and rear cameras. The rear camera is a 19MP Exmor RS which has the same capture resolution as that of Xperia XZ1, but there have been a couple of improvements. The picture doesn't look washed out or overexposed. The camera produces true to life colours in both picture and video. As for the selfies. The colours are at once more vibrant depending on your preference; this can either be good or bad. Sony has improved its HDR algorithms to enhance the brightness and shadow balance that was missing in older Sony smartphone cameras. Overall, it sports a great camera, but still has a lot of room to improve to be contenders with both Apple and Samsung.

Conclusion

If you're in the market for a compact Android smartphone with high-end specifications, then the Xperia XZ2 Compact is the one you're looking for. I will be back with my full in-depth review after I have spent a couple of weeks with this phone. 

This phone is now available from giffgaff for £319. To check it out click here.

Message 1 of 3
Highlighted