Get Help
Community

Sony Xperia range APN issue

Started by: mrcheerful
On: 08/11/2012 | 09:44
Replies: 89

by: mrcheerful
on: 08/11/2012 | 09:44 edited: 06/12/2012 | 15:55

I had originally created a thread called APN issues with Miro,Tipo ( APN issues with Xperia Miro/Tipo) as I myself have a Miro and done what is posted in this thread to get it to work. However the Forum has now seen an increase in the members having the same problem on many of the mobiles in the Xperia range now. I had made a suggesting on some threads/posts to try the below guide in the hope that it would fix the problem and it appeared to work on other mobiles within the Xperia range. As a result I thought I would create this guide to hopefully help other Xperia mobile users get their mobile working on giffgaff.

After buying the Sony Xperia Miro, I couldn't get any APN for GiffGaff to save and the only visible APN was an 02 one. I did try and edit this but once you clicked save the APN  was no longer visible and therefore un-clickable.

No matter what app or text to 2020 I tried nothing  worked. Android I.C.S doesn't allow Rd party apps to change APNs.

After many days trying I thought maybe trying to edit the current 02 APN, but in the past this didn't work either. So this time I did it this way and I have now had my phone running fine for a day and have no problems with Internet etc.

In the APN section, I choose the 02 Pay&GO (the only one showing, if you cant see it do a reset to default) so that it had the circle light with a blue light. I then enter it and edited it, now this has never worked any other time. But this time I left the name as

O2 Pay&Go and then edited the rest to...

APN: giffgaff.com

Username: giffgaff

Password: password

MMSC: http:// mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002

MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195

MMS Port: 8080

MCC: 234

MNC: 10

Now click the right hand key and choose save, restart your mobile and you should be connected to giffgaff.

If you unsure how to find the place to so this them please try this (may vary per model):

Access settings, this come be done by placing your finger at top of screen anf moving downwards or by pressing the icon above the home button.

Once in settings, you will see wirless&networks, click on more. 

From here select Mobile Networks, then Access Point Names.

Now follow information as above to create APN.

I hope that these instructions will help you get your Xperia mobile APN for giffgaff up and running. 

Orignal thread APN issues with Sony Xperia Miro/Tipo

Was your query resolved? please click ''solutions & kudos'' Smiley Happy .Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 90
by: rcn206
on: 08/11/2012 | 09:47
Hello, This is a really useful post, thank you! I've just bought an Xperia J, and I was wondering if you would know if there's a way to switch off MMS altogether, like you can do on the iPhone?
Message 2 of 90
on: 08/11/2012 | 09:55

@rcn206 wrote:
Hello, This is a really useful post, thank you! I've just bought an Xperia J, and I was wondering if you would know if there's a way to switch off MMS altogether, like you can do on the iPhone?

Sorry I don't know how to do this, but I will look around and see. You should post your question in the Ask the community section, as I am sure someone on there will know this answer. Thank you for finding my post helpful.  Smiley Happy

Was your query resolved? please click ''solutions & kudos'' Smiley Happy .Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 90
by: rcn206
on: 08/11/2012 | 10:17
Will do - I just thought I'd take a chance on you anyway! Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 90
by: woodyuk
on: 08/11/2012 | 10:40

To disable MMS just don't enter the MMS settings then it can never work.

Just enter the APN,Username and Password for giffgaff then you'll have a data connection for your browser and apps etc but MMS won't work.

Message 5 of 90
by: kevinfox72
on: 08/11/2012 | 13:17

Just used this on an Xperia T. Brilliant, thank you.

Message 6 of 90
by: kashifazhar
on: 09/11/2012 | 01:10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANDROID: Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile networks > Access Point Names
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLACKBERRY: Options, then either Advanced Options > TCP or Device > Advanced System Settings > TCP/IP
iPHONES: Settings > General > Network > Mobile Data Network (or Cellular Data Network)
NOKIA: Menu > Settings > Configuration > Personal Settings > Options > Add New
WINDOWS PHONE 7: Settings > Mobile Network > Add APN

INTERNET:

Connection Name: giffgaff
Access Point Name: giffgaff.com
Server Address: 193.113.200.195
Port: 8080
Login Username: giffgaff
Login Password: password
Authentication Type: PAP

MMS:

Connectionh Name: giffgaff
Access Point Name: giffgaff.com
Username: giffgaff
Password: password
Server: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN type: mms

It's a good idea to reboot your handset after entering or amending any of these settings. :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 90
on: 11/11/2012 | 15:18

On the new Xperia range that have the latest Android I.C.S will not give the owner an option to create a APN that saves. It will disappear as soon as you click the save option. The only option around this, is to edit the a current APN as clearly stated in the opening post. The current TEXT settings wont work and nor do any apps, as the latest Android I.C.S will not allow any third party create or change an APN.

Message 8 of 90
by: woodyuk
on: 11/11/2012 | 18:32

This is a great tip that could save a lot of Xperia owners from pulling their hair out trying to set up their APN settings I think.

Presumably you could choose any of the pre programed APNs and edit it as long as you leave the name the same so you could use Vodafone or Orange or any of them and just edit the details and save it.

Message 9 of 90
by: kfsensitive
on: 18/11/2012 | 13:01

I am using an android 4.0. Please can you help with this because I have tried everthing and nothing seems to be working.I have installed APN backup and restore and entered giffgaff into the APN, Please can you tell me how to delete o2 on my list of network providers.

Thanks  

Message 10 of 90