Community

Take part in the Knowledge Base

Started by: jeremyn
On: 18/04/2013 | 09:18
Replies: 542

by: oldyorkie
on: 10/07/2013 | 14:05

You're welcome Jeremy Smiley Happy

I'm sorry i can't be of much help with the KB at the minute - my laptop is currently in bits and I haven't got around to putting it back together yet ...... motherboard failure Smiley Sad

My main access to the site is via mobile just now, and to attempt any kind of editing requires ful site view - a RPITA on a mobile phone.

Occasionally I'm able to borrow a laptop, but not really for long enough to do any major changes.

Well done to everyone for highlighting and acting upon all the changes that have been published recently. It's great to see so many members trying to help giffgaff provide the correct and uptodate info within the KnowledgeBase Smiley Happy

Welcome too, to all those who have recently taken up the baton Smiley Happy

To Read is To Learn - go on - give it a try Smiley Wink
Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at Smiley TongueGet a free giffgaff Simsignature 1.jpg
Message 331 of 543
by: kmichael
on: 10/07/2013 | 15:34 edited: 10/07/2013 | 22:49

@jeremyn wrote:

Thank you very much for all your inputs kmichael, I'll try to answer all of them in order:

1. Can I come and work for giffgaff? I am keeping this particular article for myself, I don't know yet how it will be managed Smiley Tongue
  2. How do I mark a question as solved? I added it to the list of pending changes. 
  3. Change the Phone Settings Heading: Done
  4. New article on safe use by children: Please wait for the idea to be considered first. An article would serve the same purpose than Stephenmiller's idea so I think it's more an alternative than a complement. 
  5. Guide to Payback points: Published
  6. Policy to manage illegitimate usage and tethering with unlimited goodybags: The article is now based on the new procedure - as the tethering policy is progressively rolled out it was less confusing for the members to do it this way.

I hope I forgot nothing, they are a lot of great inputsSmiley Happy

Comments on a couple of items:

4. Indeed ! I see such an article beloging to the KB; as you well spotted an alternative to Stephen's idea (this is where my inspiration came from) to include it under a high level umbrella of staying safe online applicable to giffgaff services.

6. From what I read, this is not the case, at least in parts.  However, I will read it again more carefully (but not today). 

EDIT: Notice Mike's blog link (provided in my original post) for Phase 2, published 9 July.

Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit
Message 332 of 543
on: 11/07/2013 | 02:47

[1]

Article Why has my top-up failed?

Revision 13, request for publication

Minor edits to the "Your saved debit / credit card expired" section including its heading to reflect the website update of CC payments not getting rejected in their last month of validity [the rollout of website updates announced on 10 July, including Credit Card Expiry ]

"Your saved debit / credit card expired

If you saved your payment details, make sure that you update them before your card expires - we will send you an email and an SMS reminder.  Log in and go to "My giffgaff" and then "Payment details", to update your card details. Also remember to re-select auto top-up.

Note: Successfully topping up will switch auto top-up back on. "

[2]

There is also the article Why hasn't my auto top-up worked? that douplicates some of the info in the above one.

Suggestion: the info on the 2 to be merged (doublicationsto be taken out etc) into the article in [1].

[3]

Editions, link correction & additions (including the above) made to the KB Changes spreadsheet.

All the updates apart from Jeremy's are identified as performed by "Anonymous", just saying in case it is of importance.

Message 333 of 543
by: jeremyn
former giff-staffer

on: 11/07/2013 | 09:04

@kmichael wrote:

[2]

There is also the article Why hasn't my auto top-up worked? that douplicates some of the info in the above one.

Suggestion: the info on the 2 to be merged (doublicationsto be taken out etc) into the article in [1].

Well spotted Kiki Smiley Happy

You can organise to merge the content, I'll remove the Why hasn't my auto top-up worked? article when the two articles are merged.

I published the modifications which have been made overnight.

I also updated the List of pending changes, there are at the moment 4 suggestions being drafted and 3 suggestions which are yet to be picked up.

-- Knowledge Manager --

Ready to help with the Knowledge Base? Take part in its improvement
Message 334 of 543
on: 11/07/2013 | 15:28

@oldyorkie wrote:

You're welcome Jeremy Smiley Happy

I'm sorry i can't be of much help with the KB at the minute - my laptop is currently in bits and I haven't got around to putting it back together yet ...... motherboard failure Smiley Sad

My main access to the site is via mobile just now, and to attempt any kind of editing requires ful site view - a RPITA on a mobile phone.

Occasionally I'm able to borrow a laptop, but not really for long enough to do any major changes.

Well done to everyone for highlighting and acting upon all the changes that have been published recently. It's great to see so many members trying to help giffgaff provide the correct and uptodate info within the KnowledgeBase Smiley Happy

Welcome too, to all those who have recently taken up the baton Smiley Happy

No worries Smiley Happy  

Thank you for the welcome & positive vibe.

Message 335 of 543
by: nate37
on: 11/07/2013 | 22:27

@kmichael wrote:

[1]

Article Why has my top-up failed?

Revision 13, request for publication

Minor edits to the "Your saved debit / credit card expired" section including its heading to reflect the website update of CC payments not getting rejected in their last month of validity [the rollout of website updates announced on 10 July, including Credit Card Expiry ]

____________________________________________________________________________________
I recently added in the fact about credit/debit cards not being accepted in their final month to the article on recurring goodybags Smiley Frustrated................  I will now go and remove it!Smiley Tongue
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Please choose the best answer as solution, so others can find it, and give kudos to helpful posts
Message 336 of 543
on: 12/07/2013 | 02:49

@jeremyn wrote:
2. How do I mark a question as solved? I added it to the list of pending changes. 

The article Guide To The Community, section Accepted Solution needs to be modified accordingly too.

Message 337 of 543
Highlighted
by: wbbuttercup
on: 13/07/2013 | 12:33

Hi Jeremy,

is the following post by Brulaw something we need to take on board with our knowledgebase articles?

apn settings the easy way!

[ New ]

Right I've looked through quite a few of the guides people have gone to a lot of effort to do about the various data settings for different phones but most of the things your told to change, you don't actually have to change! 

Now the following settings have worked for me on iPhone 4, HUAWEI g300, Samsung Galaxy tab 3g and tablets about 5 HTC's, Android and windows and now I'm using a Chinese lenovo dual sim phone running the latest jelly bean os!

All I've ever changed is

Name-giffgaff 

Apn-giffgaff.com 

Username-giffgaff 

Password-password 

And this has always made my data and mms work every time so I don't understand why people give different guides when a new os comes out or why tell people to mess about with proxy servers when it's not needed! 

For iPhone I've heard it's the same except tyre username is now 'vertigo'. 

Seriously do this and it'll work and it takes 2 minutes and your up and running! 

Don't forget always reboot after a fresh installation just to be sure! 

Message 338 of 543
by: kevgaxx
on: 15/07/2013 | 07:11
Hi all, here's a quick catch up / draft on the minimum payments required for activations. It's easy to explain to a regular forum member in a few sentences, but explaining to a newcomer is much harder - especially the fact that there are two types of SIMs. Unfortunately, it's therefore a fair bit longer - but I couldn't find a way round it.

As ever, let me know of any clangers, comments or suggestions. I'll redraft accordingly.

This is a phrase from the current Knowledge Base article on SIM activation :
>>
You'll be able to test the signal strength before spending any money but you need to top-up at least £10 (or buy a goodybag of £10 or more) to activate your SIM.

You can pay using most major UK credit or debit cards, or pop to the corner shop and get a giffgaff top-up voucher , we also accept o2 top up vouchers - as we run on the o2 network.
<<
http://bit.ly/kbggactivate

So here's a first attempt at a new explanation -
>>
You'll be able to test the signal strength before spending any money, but payment is required to activate the SIM. You can pay using most major UK credit or debit cards, or pop to the corner shop and get a giffgaff top-up voucher , we also accept o2 top up vouchers - as we run on the o2 network.

Notes about activation payment amounts-
1 - If topping up credit only, the minimum payment is £10.
2 - If activating a SIM by the direct purchase of a goodybag / gigabag with a debit or credit card, there are two different minimum payments.
a ) For a " referral " SIM, the minimum payment is £10. Referral SIMs ( with a £5 credit bonus ) are received from an existing member's " spread giffgaff " page, forum banner or other link.
b ) For a " free " SIM, the minimum payment is £5. Free SIMs are ordered from the giffgaff main page. Please note that free SIMs do not have a bonus.

Message 339 of 543
by: jeremyn
former giff-staffer

on: 15/07/2013 | 09:41

Good morning all, 

@wbbuttercup, thank you for your update of the Ideas board article, I published it this morning.

Regarding brulaw's post, he is right, the huge majority of phones work with these simplified settings and they must be provided as a default solution (except for iOS devices). Alas, the rest of the APN settings sometimes needs tinkering with (speaking from experience Smiley Tongue) and we need to try to be complete to define which phone / system works with exactly which settings.

@kmichael, I changed a bit the List of pending changes this morning to split the changes on the Community guide. This way you can handle the changes on "Best answer" and bertiebat can do the other updates independently. This article will then be published twice, to reflect the changes as soon as possible.

-- Knowledge Manager --

Ready to help with the Knowledge Base? Take part in its improvement
Message 340 of 543