Knowledge Base
Community

Thread for good deals on O2/unlocked mobiles.

Started by: ibiza
On: 12/07/2010 | 14:48
Replies: 17

by: ibiza
on: 12/07/2010 | 14:48

This thread is to post any good deal for any unlocked or O2 simlocked phone (although obviously unlocked is better, as if GG decide to shift network suppliers in the future then O2 phones would become a liability).

Over the weekend there were some offers of mobiles for 99p plus £10.00 top up, with the best getting £7.50 cash back, effectively meaning the phone cost £3.50 - and leaving you with a tenners credit to do with as you choose. 

But to start the thread rolling...

£11 including a tenner credit, a fiver coming back is you use quidco, and a perfect "glove box", or "bury in a condom" beach mobile.  So potentially £6 as an intro to the great features of GG.

Its also worth mentioning that Carphone Warehouse mobiles are normally unlocked, so although buying the O2 version, its likely to work on any network!

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/LG-GB102/PPAY

The LG GB102 is a light, compact=

The LG GB102 is a light, compact mobile that’s easy to use. This stylish handset has a six hour battery life and is packed with essential features, including pre-installed games and a speakerphone for hands free calls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- - THOSE NOT POSTING NICELY - WILL BE TAKEN OUT THE BACK AND SHOT!! - -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 1 of 18
by: mondeoman1970
on: 12/07/2010 | 14:54

@ibiza wrote:

This thread is to post any good deal for any unlocked or O2 simlocked phone (although obviously unlocked is better, as if GG decide to shift network suppliers in the future then O2 phones would become a liability).

Giffgaff is O2, how would they shift Network suppliers?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 18
by: xpz393
on: 12/07/2010 | 15:28

@ibiza wrote:

It is highly unlikely that giffgaff would switch to a network other than O2, being as they're a 'spin off' from O2. The only way I could ever see that happening would be if O2 decided to sell giffgaff as a going concern (and even then I'd imagine they'd build in a clause that kept them on O2) but that's all 'what if' and no plans afoot at the mo.

With regard to good prices on unlocked phones, I've used www.handtec.co.uk a few times and have personally found them competitive on price, and good for aftersales services. Worth a look Smiley Happy

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 18
by: paul_shirley
on: 12/07/2010 | 17:51

@xpz393 wrote:

It is highly unlikely that giffgaff would switch to a network other than O2, being as they're a 'spin off' from O2.

The 1st MVNO to offer affordable cross network roaming will get my attention, I seem able to find every O2 blackhole going. Last Sat travelling in Shropshire,Herefordshire and between I barely saw O2 coverage - all 4 other networks the couple of times I checked but no O2, and it crawled when I did get reception. I wonder if giffgaff is independent enough to pull that off Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 18
by: mr_mitch
on: 12/07/2010 | 18:21

why would you want to bury a mobile phone in a condom on a beach?

Message 6 of 18
by: allan1954
on: 12/07/2010 | 21:51

@mr_mitch wrote:

why would you want to bury a mobile phone in a condom on a beach?

+1

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 18
Highlighted
by: mr_mitch
on: 13/07/2010 | 00:43

@craig1970 wrote:

+2

Glad its not just me then!

Thought there might have been some kind of well known thing that I'd somehow missed!

Message 9 of 18
by: ibiza
on: 13/07/2010 | 14:25

Where do you put your mobile when everyone is in for a swim?

If you shove it in a plastic bag and bury it, if someone sees you doing it they might take it.

But how many still chance it if its in a knotted  condom?

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

- - THOSE NOT POSTING NICELY - WILL BE TAKEN OUT THE BACK AND SHOT!! - -
Message 10 of 18