Knowledge Base
Community

Using a Micro SD card as Internal Memory warning!(solved)

Started by: sheppola
On: 08/01/2019 | 13:33
Replies: 25

by: sheppola
on: 08/01/2019 | 13:33 edited: 30/05/2019 | 09:27

On several of the Android and Phone forums I've been on there are concerns about the use of Micro SD cards
being used for,"Internal Memory" to allow more apps to be installed.Having tested the system several times I've come to the conclusion
that not all it's cracked up to be.

There are several things that anyone thinking of doing this should to know.

1:If you,"Soft Eject" the SD using the phone's Storage and Data section it may DESTROY all the Data on the SD card!

2:If you,"Remove" the SD card whilst the phone is on it may DESTROY all the data on the card!

You may have to take the card out and reformat it on a Computer other device.

For PCs I use the free version of MPW(Minitool Partition Wizard),

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

but be careful if you use this software and make sure you are on the correct
drive/Device as you can wipe your computer's hard drives with this software!!

This data may be recoverable using this kind of software,

https://www.4cardrecovery.com/howto/sd-card-format-recovery.html

But only if the card has not be re-formatted after the damage.

The SD card can be removed when the phone is off and the data will be intact but as the SD card has been encrypted uniquely to the phone it came out of the card CANNOT be read by another device.This means the SD card is pretty much useless unless used with the above Data-Recovery software and then reformatted.

Finally:

Once the SD card has been formatted as,"Internal Storage" you will NOT be able to transfer/backup files from the phone Via USB cable to a PC/Laptop or Tablet(See later post for possible work-rounds).

You will have to use WiFi/Blue Tooth or backup to the cloud.

Conclusion:

For me I don't like this system and hope Google/Android re-program and make a better system.

There is a way to increase the Internal memory of the phones using an app like Link2SD. The phone will need,"Rooting" and this should only be done if the phone is out-of-warranty or the user does not mind voiding the Warranty and the user knows about these things.

If anyone wants help in using Link2SD I will try to help.

I hope this post helps people and stops them possibly losing valuable data Smiley Happy

If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 1 of 26
by: allan1954
on: 08/01/2019 | 14:03
thanks for the tip.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 26
by: goonerx2
on: 11/01/2019 | 10:27
Not as good as I cracked up to to be believed then, thanks.
Message 3 of 26
on: 11/01/2019 | 11:09

@goonerx2

@goonerx2 wrote:

Not as good as I cracked up to to be believed then, thanks.

It's a workable system so long as you know it's limitations and make sure you keep regular backups of the Data on the phone but the inability to backup via USB cable is a big,"No-No" for me 

:compcrash: :blob8:

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 4 of 26
Highlighted
by: endorphin
on: 12/01/2019 | 18:23

@sheppola wrote:

Once the SD card has been formatted as,"Internal Storage" you will NOT be able to transfer/backup files from the phone Via USB cable to a PC/Laptop or Tablet.

Hmm, I'm using adoptive storage with a 32GB SD card on my Y550 (which has 4GB internal storage) and when connected to a PC via USB I can see all of that storage and copy the files on it to and from the PC with no problems!?

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £10 credit
Message 7 of 26
on: 12/01/2019 | 18:53 edited: 12/01/2019 | 19:17

@endorphin

@endorphin wrote:

@sheppola wrote:

Once the SD card has been formatted as,"Internal Storage" you will NOT be able to transfer/backup files from the phone Via USB cable to a PC/Laptop or Tablet.

Hmm, I'm using adoptive storage with a 32GB SD card on my Y550 (which has 4GB internal storage) and when connected to a PC via USB I can see all of that storage and copy the files on it to and from the PC with no problems!?

It may be dependent on the Android verson/Phone model installed.It didn't work on my Chinaphone(Custom Rom) and on my Moto G3 (Stock Updated rom).

Also with more research you can revert back to Internal Stroage and keep some stuff with a bit of faffing about according to this page,

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-format-microsd-cards-as-internal-storage

Also if the user does a Factory reset without seeing above they will lose all their data from the adopted SD card Smiley Sad

I like to keep backups on my External SD card for when I do a factory reset to make it speedier plus sometimes I like to take the card out and use an SD card reader into my PCs which I can't do if it's used as,"Adopitve/Internal" storage  Smiley Happy

Minion-Dancing-icon.png

Message 8 of 26
by: giffer23
on: 12/01/2019 | 21:33
Good to know, thanks for sharing.
Message 9 of 26
on: 12/01/2019 | 22:35 edited: 12/01/2019 | 22:37

Another flaw in the Android optive/Internal Memory system seems to be appearing.People who have deleted files from the phone/s to get space back are not getting the space back.The files/apps are going but  the memory table/s are not updating.

If this is the case then very soon the SD card/Phone will be full and therefore making the Total memory of the phone useless.

evil-minion-icon.png

Message 10 of 26