Knowledge Base
Community

Using a Micro SD card as Internal Memory warning!(solved)

Started by: sheppola
On: 08/01/2019 | 13:33
Replies: 25

by: solvbb
on: 13/01/2019 | 11:07
Just a few comments on your suggestions - I have been using Link2SD for about 6 years. There are alternatives like Mount2SD which also work well.

It works well for expanding the data partition so you can install more apps. However, the consequence of using it is that the SD card gets used a lot more, when SD cards do have a limit to the number of rear / writes, so using a good quality card is more important.

I have lost data from a card used in conjunction with Link2SD - and as you suggest you must not remove the SD card while the phone is running other wise corruption can occur.

I also use Minitool and usually format a data partition as ext2 or ext 3 with the balance being a normal FAT32 partition. You can read the entirety of the SD card (both partitions) if you have a computer running linux. If you put the SD card in a windows computer, depending on the partition order you will just see the FAT32 partition and may get a suggestion to reformat the SD card (don't do it). Because of this it is possible to take your own backups of apps and data on the sdcard

For file management I use old versions of ES_explorer and Storage Analyser. Like many apps ES explorer got bloated and ads started to become too intrusive. I don't think Storage Analyser is in Play any longer, but the apk should be readily discoverable on the net. I have not seen the space loss you refer to, but that might be because I'm not using current versions of Android - are you sure the issue is not related to use of a recycle bin.
Message 11 of 26
by: sheppola
on: 13/01/2019 | 11:46 edited: 29/04/2019 | 18:47

@solvbb

More great info and just what these threads need Smiley Happy

I don't know about the memory loss on the deleted files it's just a few posts whereby people cannot get the space back even after rebooting the phones.

As you know there's so many versions of Android and I don't mean just the Base versions there's every Vendor/Phone maker that changes them to suit their Agenda.It's surpsing there aren't more problems Smiley Surprised

I used to use ES file explorer but like you say it's become bloated and I had trouble with it overlaying on my Cheap Chinaphone.Found a better alternative in Total Commander,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander&hl=en_GB

Like ES is supports OTG(On The Go) USB file transfers.give it a go and see what you think Smiley Happy

If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 12 of 26
by: leigh2180
on: 14/01/2019 | 16:17
WoW! thanks @sheppola,
learned a few things here... not only about phones but also about what's going on with our Walkman!
have a good evening, we will Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 26
by: leigh2180
on: 14/01/2019 | 16:19
".. inability to backup via USB cable is a big,"No-No"..." Yep, us too @ sheppola and @goonerx2
Thanks, L
Message 14 of 26
on: 26/05/2019 | 12:27 edited: 27/05/2019 | 09:06

@leigh2180 

@leigh2180wrote:

".. inability to backup via USB cable is a big,"No-No"..." Yep, us too @ sheppola and @goonerx2
Thanks, L

I've just been doing some more testing on my spare Android phone and there is a way to use USB cables/adaptors to transfer/backup files when using,"Adoptive Memory"(SD card as Internal Memory).

You need a file Manager that supports OTG(On The Go)  on your Android phone.

I use Total commander,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander&hl=en_GB

And OTG USB adaptor like this,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-male-Host-to-USB-Female-OTG-Cable-Adapter-For-Samsung-Galaxy-An...

Or for the newer Type-C micro usb socket/phones,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-1-Type-C-to-USB-A-Female-OTG-On-The-Go-USB-Host-Adapter-Cable-16-CM...Smiley Tongue

Then a USB memory stick or a Micro SD card in a USB Adaptor like this,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-in-One-all-in-1-USB-Memory-Card-Reader-Adapter-for-Micro-SD-MMC-SDHC-...

You can plug the OTG Adapter into the phone and then plug the USB stick into it and then use,"Total commander" to move files off or onto the phone.You can then transfer the files from the USB Stick(Or Micro SD card in a USB Adaptor) onto any other supported device.

Note:The explanation is more involved than the actual practice.It's a doddle once you know what you are doing/using.

Somewhere I have a Standard USB to USB data cable so might even be able to use the OTG Adaptor and,"That" cable to directly plug the phone into my windows Laptop again like the,"Good-old-Days" Smiley Very Happy

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 15 of 26
on: 26/05/2019 | 12:44

There is another alternative for backing up data files, if you have a PC, cloud storage or a NAS to store the backups on.

Use an FTP package - I have recently discovered AndFTP.

It woks well and I upload pictures directly to a website and my own NAS devices at home. You can have a number of profiles for different devices as well.

Message 16 of 26
on: 26/05/2019 | 12:47

@solvbb 

@solvbbwrote:

There is another alternative for backing up data files, if you have a PC, cloud storage or a NAS to store the backups on.

Use an FTP package - I have recently discovered AndFTP.

It woks well and I upload pictures directly to a website and my own NAS devices at home. You can have a number of profiles for different devices as well.

That's a good idea but my posts are for people who may not have a good,"Data Package" and want physical backups along with or instead of,"Cloud" backups Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
on: 26/05/2019 | 16:52

Backing up to a NAS or a PC is a physical backup, and because you can generally only do it across a LAN (home network) no data usage is required, it's all over WiFi.

Backing up to cloud storage, if done on wifi (say at home), doesn't need any data usage either.

Of course once you have backed up, you can also delete older photos etc from your phone, releasing space back to the data partition, which is sort of where this started with increasing restrictions on the use of SD cards under Android

Message 18 of 26
by: gcase64
on: 26/05/2019 | 17:17
@solvbb.
Thanks for this information.It is of great importance to myself and infact all users of an SD card in an Android device.
Message 19 of 26
by: pinkunykorn
on: 26/05/2019 | 20:12
Thanks for the info
Message 20 of 26