Knowledge Base
Community

Using a Micro SD card as Internal Memory warning!(solved)

Started by: sheppola
On: 08/01/2019 | 13:33
Replies: 25

by: ta_zara
on: 26/05/2019 | 22:59

Hello @sheppola  thanks for this helpful post

Message 21 of 26
by: pw6049
on: 27/05/2019 | 07:31

@sheppola thanks for the tip.

Message 22 of 26
by: sha_shah1
on: 27/05/2019 | 12:47

@sheppola 

Good job .thanks for sharing 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 24 of 26
by: sheppola
on: 27/05/2019 | 19:19 edited: 27/05/2019 | 19:22

I found my USB to USB cable but unfortunately it won't work using the OTG Adaptor Smiley Sad

However I've now found out something interesting

Now this could be Android version dependant as this was tested on a Custom Android Rom on my Chinese DooGee x5 Max pro running,"Mokee" Android 7.1.1

After formatting the SD card as Internal and then shutting the phone down for a few mins and then restarting it the Phone was seen by my Win10 Laptop.I do however have the universal Android ADB(Android Device Bridge) USB drivers installed on this Laptop,

https://adb-driver.com

Now here's the thing.The phone of course is now seen as just one storage location  in Window's file Explorer and when I tried to copy a file from the Phone to the PC onto the PC/s C drive it failed.But when I copied it to my D Drive/Partition the file copied Smiley Very Happy

I then tried to copy the File off the Phone to a Folder on the C drive and the file copied Smiley Very Happy

The files copied from the PC to the Phone,no problems.

Recap.

Format SD card as Internal.

Shut phone down for a minute and then restart.

Make sure Universal ADB drivers installed on the Windows Device.

When detected by the PC draw down from the Notification bar and choose File Transfers.

Tz3xtL4

Don't try to copy to the System drive(C drive-Root directory) of the windows machine but into a folder or a different drive/Partition if set up that way.

Caveats still apply.

Using Micro SD cards as Internal storage puts a big strain on SD cards via constant data transfers so they won't last as long as if used as External Storage

Some of the newer Ultra Fast SD cards may not work and or will fail requiring their partition/s deleting on a PC and recreating/Re-formatting and that might save them but if you use a Data Recovery program do so before reformatting.

The possibility of the SD cards unlinking from phone is still there so data could be lost.

HTH Smiley Happy

If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 25 of 26
by: sibtahmed
on: 28/05/2019 | 12:15
Thanks for the helpful post
Message 26 of 26