What to do before buying an item on Amazon | Toxiic's Tips

Started by: toxiic
On: 27/04/2018 | 14:37
Replies: 42

Highlighted
by: toxiic
on: 27/04/2018 | 14:37 edited: 13/05/2018 | 11:40

Check CamelCamelCamel

CamelCamelCamel is a website that records the prices of products on Amazon at different times. All you do is jump onto the website, type in the product you’re looking at (or Copy and Paste!), then Hit Search and click on the item you were looking. This will then bring up a host of different graphs of the price, so you can see exactly when the price of the product decreased and by how much.

Also, a fantastic feature you can take advantage of is the notifications. Here, you just set the price you want to buy the product for and a form of contact (I use my Twitter username, so when a product drops to the price I want, CamelCamelCamel send me an automated tweet that I can see – saying the prices has dropped to what I programmed it to). This is a great little website for seeing whether the price you’re looking at on Amazon is the best price/whether you should wait it out for a better deal to appear.

Next up is Checking Other Sellers.

This is a feature on Amazon missed by many. At face value, it may seem that the product details (like when it would be delivered) are what you’re definitely going to get the product for. Well, there are sometimes other sellers selling the same product, it’s just Amazon defaults to what it thinks is the best option for you based on a number of factors. Anyway, with these other sellers: it’s possible to get the item quicker or from a more reputable seller than the one Amazon picks for you. It’s always worth a look at other sellers, just in case you find the same product but with, say, quicker delivery. Below is how to look for it.

Sketch anaz.pngNotice how it's cheaper with Amazon Warehouse deals, or even cheaper with a third party seller (though limited protection if something goes wrong with the product).

Amazon Warehouse

Amazon Warehouse just is what people have returned to Amazon and Amazon are now selling at a reduced cost (as it’s technically pre-owned). These reduced costs can actually be very good alternatives if you don’t want the brand new version of the product. For instance, I bought an Amazon Warehouse laptop for £150 whereas the price for a new version is £250. – despite it being pre owned, I saw absolutely no damage to the laptop (not even scratches!) anywhere on the case or screen. And it’s still going strong today.

It’s important to note there are different conditions to pick from sometimes when buying an Amazon Warehouse product, though the listing will say the damage caused to that bulk of products (and not the exact product you’ll get – hence even though the laptop said it has scratches on its casing – there’s none at all!). Also, you only get a 1 year Amazon Warranty with Amazon Warehouse deals, as opposed to the 2 year with new products.

You can find Amazon Warehouse deals on a certain product using the instructions said in Checking Other Sellers (above).

Donate to charity for free! As @stephenpperry says:

"It doesn’t save you money but it’s good for the world if you use smile.amazon.com when you make purchases. So amazon give a % to charity".

To view more content.pngTo view more of my content, click the blue text just under this, as arrowed in the picture above.

Message 1 of 43
by: dcbr
on: 27/04/2018 | 16:43
Before committing to Amazon check prices elsewhere. I saved £20 on a camera by buying on eBay rather than on Amazon. . . from the same seller!
Message 2 of 43
by: endorphin
on: 27/04/2018 | 17:02

Yes, you often find the same seller on Ebay selling the same item at a cheaper price. Occasionally the same seller will even have their own website which is cheaper still as they don't have to then pay Ebay's or Amazon's fees.

So it is worth checking around and not be a slave to those sites.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 3 of 43
on: 27/04/2018 | 18:29

dcbr wrote:

Before committing to Amazon check prices elsewhere. I saved £20 on a camera by buying on eBay rather than on Amazon. . . from the same seller!

@dcbr

Glad to hear what works for you. Depending on the price of the camera, I may be inclined to buy it from Amazon instead as I prefer the overall ease and customer service. Especially since I use Amazon a lot and have prime.

However, it's interesting to hear that and how it differs between preference. 

Thanks for your comment.

Message 4 of 43
on: 27/04/2018 | 18:32

endorphin wrote:

Yes, you often find the same seller on Ebay selling the same item at a cheaper price. Occasionally the same seller will even have their own website which is cheaper still as they don't have to then pay Ebay's or Amazon's fees.

So it is worth checking around and not be a slave to those sites.

It is indeed. That and it takes a couple of mins to look around the internet for a better price, too. @endorphin

Message 5 of 43
by: huey3man
on: 27/04/2018 | 19:27
Thanks for the tips @toxiic !
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 43
by: the_bookie
on: 27/04/2018 | 21:34

Cheers great tips and taking the extra time to 

shop around saves us a lot of money .

All to often we dive in without checking ebay

amazon warehouse and other online sites .

Superb advice with Camel Camel Camel and

quick way of getting cheapest price .

Message 8 of 43
by: kath72
on: 28/04/2018 | 11:26
If you are an Amazon prime customer you need to be aware that third party sellers are not part of the free delivery programme.

I don’t have prime so I always check for other sellers within amazon, I have found some great independent retailers this way (mostly craft / baking suppliers) who I now buy from direct

Message 10 of 43