Knowledge Base
Community

Whatsapp chat backups on Google Drive

Started by: palamedes
On: 10/08/2019 | 18:53
Replies: 3

by: palamedes
on: 10/08/2019 | 18:53

Does anyone know if it's possible to have chat backups for two or more Whatsapp accounts on a single Google Drive account? Or is Whatsapp stupid enough to overwrite one account's backup with the other account's messages if you try to do this?

Whatsapp generally doesn't like being used on more than one device at a time - and if you authenticate a specific phone number for whatsapp for which there's already another authenticated device, it will de-authenticate that other device next time it comes online. No such restriction with Google; you can have as many Android devices on a single account as you like. As a result, I've come to the opinion that the easiest way to use Whatsapp simultaneously on multiple devices is just to have a separate account on a separate phone number for each device, and just set up group chats with everyone, so as to be sure that their replies go to all your devices.

But I'm not sure if I trust Whatsapp to tell different accounts on Google Drive apart when restoring backups. I can't find anything about it in their online help. Has anyone ever tried it? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
by: endorphin
on: 10/08/2019 | 19:25

Hi @palamedes from here https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/20887921/

"Every time you create a Google Drive backup using the same Google account, the previous Google Drive backup will be overwritten."

so it seems like you can't backup multiple Whatsapp chats backups to the same Drive account. You will probably have to set up separate google accounts for each Whatsapp account to backup the chats.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £10 credit
Message 2 of 4
by: palamedes
on: 10/08/2019 | 22:09

@endorphinThanks for sleuthing that, that's really useful.

I think there's still ambiguity in it, though; the FAQ in its entirety seems to be written from the point of view that you are only managing a single WhatsApp account. It explicitly acknowledged the possibility that you might have multiple Google accounts, but it's completely silent on the scenario of having multiple WhatsApp accounts.

Plus, the fact that it says restore from backup might fail if, and I quote "You aren't using the same phone number that was used to create the backup" - seems to imply that your phone number (and therefore also your WhatsApp account identifier) is stored with your chat backup.

Still, who knows? On the plus side, that same page gives some incredibly useful information about managing local backups. So it looks like it's possible to transfer local backups into manually created separate folders on Google Drive (or even Onedrive or Dropbox for that matter). Obviously I don't expect backups moved to different locations to restore automatically - but the point is, with this information, you could set up a test to see if you can automatically restore two different chat histories from two different WhatsApp accounts on the same Google Drive account - and you can manually recover the histories for each WhatsApp account if it turns out that it doesn't work.

Maybe I'll try that at some point, thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
by: akh48
on: 10/08/2019 | 23:05

I have 2 separate Whatsapp chat backups going to my Google Drive, both seem to be independent and saved under the relevant phone number in a backups sub folder on my google drive.  Both backing up regularly just checked by backing one of the phones up now and it updated.  I didn't set it up someone who set up a previous phone in a phone shop did, but it seems to work ok, has been working several years and I have used it to back up in the past when I got a new phone.

SIM: giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/akh48
Message 4 of 4