Knowledge Base
Community

You Don't Need To Break The Bank To Get a Good Smartphone

Started by: leeon1988
On: 27/11/2018 | 14:03
Replies: 35

by: leeon1988
on: 27/11/2018 | 14:03

We have seen the flagship devices from all of the major smartphone makers, but sometimes these ‘top tier’ devices aren’t suited for every individual as we are have different needs. When discussing smartphones it may seem more reasonable to just get a smartphone that gets the job done rather than a smartphone packed with a ton of features as some of us may be looking to buy their first ever smartphone or get a smartphone for your teenage son or daughter in case of emergencies.

The good news is that if you are on the hunt for a smartphone and are on a budget, then you don’t have to miss out on key features which use to be the case. These days buying a smartphone on a budget doesn’t mean you’re getting a phone incapable of taking a selfie, having a plastic TFT screen or crashing when you try to open up the web browser to do a Google search.

To corroborate this, I’m going to show you a bunch of budget phones you can get from giffgaff that will be a great bang for your buck.

069-motoe5-play.jpg

Motorola Moto E5 Play
Price: £79
Motorola’s E series smartphones are known to offer great performance, great design at a great price and the Moto E5 is no exception. The Motorola Moto E has a 5.34” screen, a decent 8MP rear camera and a 5MP front camera for taking selfies or video chatting. The phone is running on Android Oreo 8.0 (Go Edition). For those of you who are not familiar with Android Go, it is essentially a more user-friendly version of Android without all of the bells and whistles or unnecessary apps. This saves a lot of storage space on the phone which gives you a great Android Experience.

https://giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/motorola/motorola-moto-e5-play/phone-details

nokia-3-2018-lock-screen-in-hand.jpgAndroid Central

Nokia 3.1
Price: £129
Nokia hardly ever seems to disappoint when it comes to the build quality of their devices. This phone looks like it can play in the same league as the more expensive handsets with its diamond cut aluminium sides for increased durability. The Nokia 3.1 has 5.2 HD+ Corning Gorilla Glass display, so you know you’re going to get a decent experience when watching giffgaff’s phone reviews or Netflix. But, it doesn’t stop there as there is also something for you smartphone photographers and selfie-takers with its 13MP rear camera and its 8MP selfie camera. It’s running Vanilla Android which means you’re guaranteed future security updates as well as software updates as soon as they roll out.

https://giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/nokia/nokia-3-1/phone-details

Huawei Y7
Price: 139
The thing that stands out to me the most is this phones 5.99” Full View display, this will give you a comfortable viewing experience when you’re watching videos or reading online. Looking at this phone I sense that Huawei wanted to bring you the best they offer at an affordable price without cutting corners and I believe they managed to accomplish this. This phone comes packed with a 13MP rear camera, and 8MP camera and 3000 mAh battery which I last a whole day. In terms of design, I consider Huawei up there with the best as this looks like a flagship device. Adulf did a great job reviewing this phone click here to hear his thoughts on this phone.

https://giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/huawei/huawei-y7-2018/phone-details

Huawei P Smart
Price: £149
From what I have been hearing, this is the phone a lot of iPhone users are switching over too. The design of this phone looks sleek an elegant and could easily pass for a £500 smartphone. I personally used a number of Huawei devices in the past and one of the things I love about them is their build quality. I could even say this is a flagship looking phone at an affordable price. It has a 5.65” near bezel-less display, a duo lens rear camera (13MP + 2MP) for those super sharp shots with a blurred background, and an 8MP selfie camera. For £149 this phone is a smart choice.

https://giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/huawei/huawei-p-smart/phone-details

Message 1 of 36
by: ken_peck
on: 27/11/2018 | 14:59 edited: 21/01/2019 | 18:49

Good review. I've just bought a Umidigi One Pro new for £175. Great specs at a good price.
Toodeloo for now.
Ken.

Latest at 21/01/18..they're down to £140 on eBay for the 64GB version.

Message 2 of 36
by: isabel1066
on: 27/11/2018 | 16:32
thank you @leeon1988 as always great reviews of phones.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 36
by: giffgaff_1986
on: 27/11/2018 | 16:49

@leeon1988 great thanks  for review of phones

Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Give best answer who helps and Kudos Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 36
by: k89bpa
on: 27/11/2018 | 16:52
Black Friday through Cyber Monday is also good if you are willing to take a contract.

I picked myself up a Huawei P20 Pro and extra data plus international calling minutes for the same price, (or less), that I was paying on my SIM only package.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 5 of 36
by: brulaw
on: 27/11/2018 | 18:04 edited: 27/11/2018 | 18:08

@ken_peck wrote:

Good review. I've just bought a Umidigi One Pro new for £175. Great specs at a good price.
Toodeloo for now.
Ken.

Plus one on the above ...... The Umidigi One Pro is a brilliant device and at the price it's available for it deserves to be a winner . 

Also if anyone is prepared to go to a higher price ( around £350  )  the Elephone U Pro is another absoloute bargain  fantastic spes and build quality  (  with  curved edge display ) .

Message 6 of 36
by: c_lockett
on: 28/11/2018 | 09:15
My son had a Samsung 8 plus for a short while. He had it on contract when it first came out. In no time it had a broken screen and didn't work.
Very disappointing and expensive for him and he had to go back to using his S6 phone for a while.
This week he bought an Honor 8X phone for £229 and he's over the moon with it. I guess the days of buying expensive flagship phones are over for him.
Message 7 of 36
by: allan1954
on: 28/11/2018 | 09:51
cheers for the reviews.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 36
by: franche
on: 28/11/2018 | 16:16
Great to have this - I hope you/someone can do an annual update for reference. ( I had found a refurbished Nokia 5 on this site, but just by chance!) Thank you.
Message 9 of 36
by: jsmith2009
on: 29/11/2018 | 10:06

Hi

Thanks for this. Some great phones at reasonble prices.

Cheers

Message 10 of 36