Community

giffgaff IS a PAYG network

Started by: solvbb
On: 13/01/2019 | 14:35
Replies: 3

by: solvbb
on: 13/01/2019 | 14:35

Just in case you didn't know

The reason for posting is that I don't think the website is that clear to new users. Sure when you have been on here a while, or have bought your own top up for PAYG it is obvious, not so clear when you are new.

The focus is very much on buying the expiring goodybags, which are better value, but not what low / managed usage people would want.

giffgaff could make it a lot clearer that when you buy a top up you are on PAYG, and you can then use that balance to buy a goodybag if you wish. I have also discovered that I need to turn off my auto renewal to be able to use the credit balance on my account to buy future goodybags.

New user, two sims, one on goodybag, one on PAYG

Message 1 of 4
by: harrrrrry
on: 15/01/2019 | 08:17

@solvbb

You're right, the web site could be made clearer. But ...

giffgaff could make it a lot clearer that when you buy a top up you are on PAYG, and you can then use that balance to buy a goodybag if you wish.

Giffgaff should be actively discouraging people from adding credit if they want a goodybag for the same value. Far too many people already do that, without realising there's a very real danger that their phone will use some of that credit before they have a chance to buy the goodybag. The phone may use only a penny or two (if they're lucky and there are no major updates outstanding), but that's still enough to stop them from buying the goodybag that they wanted. Then it needs to be reported to an agent to fix by adding a discretionary credit. It would be far safer (and easier for the agents) if they were warned not to add credit in the first place.

Hence https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712751/encourage-users-to-buy-goodybags-without-adding-credit-first which still, despite getting universal support on the threads and only needing a simple tip to be added to the right page, hasn't been implemented.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 2 of 4
by: solvbb
on: 15/01/2019 | 09:02
I'm with you, make it clearer that there is a choice of PAYG or goodybag, and if people want a goodybag buy that directly
Message 3 of 4
by: jaymailsays
on: 21/01/2019 | 03:51 edited: 21/01/2019 | 04:04

For many, having a goodybag (on its own) is simply not tenable. They also need a modicum of airtime credit, for access to, outgoing international calls/texts, photo messages, 0844/087/096/070 non standard numbers or services or roaming charges to places as close as the Channel Islands & IOM and of course the rest of the World outside of Europe (not including Switzerland)

It also appears that when using a goodybag in the EU receiving a call from say China might require paygo credit, as you are not on your home network but using a roaming partner network. It is possible to have a goodybag and spare airtime credit on the same sim/number without the need to have a second sim. 

Many will be familiar with the concept, when they first joined giffgaff, if introduced by a friend, they may have purchased a goodybag and received notification of an added promotional free £5 credit as an airtime balance, for use as described above.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 4