A quick guide to ranks within the giffgaff community

There are a number of ranks that you can achieve within the community:
•    newbie giffgaffer
•    apprentice giffgaffer
•    giffgaff advisor
•    giffgaff mentor
•    giffgaffer guide
•    ……

There is also a special rank for those folks who are more into organising (tagging) things:
•    giffgaffer gatherer
•    giffgaffer herder
•    ……

We’ve decided not to publicize the exact ranking criteria, as some folks try to game the system and that doesn’t help anyone. That said, giffgaff members will gain higher ranking through their involvement in the community. The list below illustrates some of the things the ranking criteria is based on (not in order of importance and some elements are weighted greater than others):

•    Accepted solutions received
•    Kudos Given
•    Kudos Received
•    Length of time on the Community
•    Number of logins
•    Posts marked as “Accepted Solution”
•    Total number of Posts (minus deleted posts)
•    Total Number of Tags applied throughout community
•    Time spent online in the Community Forums
As members achieve higher rankings within the Community Forums, they will also automatically receive additional functionality (privileges such as being able to personalise avatar, move posts etc) – while maintaining the functionality rights previously achieved.  Administrators may invite certain members to become Community Leaders at their discretion.  We reserve the right to modify, change, or discontinue the Ranking program at any time without notice.

As always, we welcome any comments, suggestions, or feedback you may have. Stick them in the discussion boards, or contact the administrator

Cheers!

Note: If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'accepted solution’, then we know you're sorted
Message 1 of 41
by: loophole82
on: 11/12/2009 | 15:06
Thanks Claire
I asked about this just earlier today
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Ask-the-community-got-stuck-get/Ranking-System-on-the-Forum/m-p/189...
This clarifies it 100%
Think sideways, there is always a queue up the front!

Kudos make me cry with pride.
Message 2 of 41
by: leon
on: 24/01/2010 | 00:01

'There is also a special rank for those folks who are more into organising (tagging) things:
•    giffgaffer gatherer
•    giffgaffer herder'

Thankyou! I am more into that sort of things, I dont do much help with posting so to make up to that - I tag things! So far I have 167 total tags.

I want your bad romance.
Message 3 of 41
by: andy0
on: 24/01/2010 | 00:48 edited: 24/01/2010 | 10:21

@leon wrote:

'There is also a special rank for those folks who are more into organising (tagging) things:
•    giffgaffer gatherer
•    giffgaffer herder'

Thankyou! I am more into that sort of things, I dont do much help with posting so to make up to that - I tag things! So far I have 167 total tags.

You might read the following remark, about gaming the system.

It isn't a requirement, or even useful, to set out to place several tags on each post. The point of tags is to find useful threads on a subject, which the search function can do as well, but the tags put a slightly higher rank in the results.

Thus, rather unspecific and generic tags are less likely to be useful, and might tend to clutter the list.

For example, not many people are likely to use the forum search for words like card, cheap, days, lite, message, months, networks, num, number, numbers, phone, phones, points, posts, price, pricing, pstn, sell, social, tool, tools, usage, users, version, web, or even £5000, or all the member decription categories, and making a post just for the sake of adding 5 tags to it might be overdoing it a bit too.

It's good to see you enthusisatic to help, but try to concentrate on more specific ones like some you've added, such as unlock or PAC or Skype Fring and Nimbuzz. Try to spot the words that people might want to put in a search

Message 4 of 41
by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 25/01/2010 | 10:32

@leon wrote:

•    giffgaffer gatherer
•    giffgaffer herder'

Hi leon,

I'm glad you like it Smiley Happy

Not everyone is a massive posters, but this way you can still really help out. So thanks for your input!

Just note that with tagging it's especially important to find the key words in a post/topic. I don't know if you are familiar with the system, so if you are I just ignore what I say, but for those that aren't familiar with tagging the important thing to remember is, don't use sentences or words like 'a', 'an', 'the', etc.

And like Andy0 said, it's finding the key words in a post which is important. These are those words which are most likely to bring up that specific thread in a search.

Good tagging can be pretty tricky, and that's why we wanted to reward those who do with their own titles Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 5 of 41
by: panther97
on: 06/08/2010 | 20:15

About the Tagging Rankings, I have made it to the top of the ranks in tagging though i'm still a newbie.

Message 6 of 41
by: brradley
on: 06/08/2010 | 20:18
I don't think they really bother with tags anymore, seeing as the search can search without tags now anyway. Don't waste your time tagging, help other users instead! Smiley Happy
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 41
by: panther97
on: 06/08/2010 | 20:24

Brradley, I try to help users but I don't get any where. I always try to give the right answer but I never get the accepted solution, I hope I help everyone but no one seems to bother with me Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 41
by: brradley
on: 07/08/2010 | 00:10
I felt the same way, but if you're aiming for payback, I don't think tagging is worth your while. Posting on the forum and sharing top tips is the best way, and to share what phone you have, and how you managed to get it setup, this helps people! Smiley Happy
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 41
by: darrenpainter
on: 07/08/2010 | 00:24
Panther97, tagging such useful words such as Hi, not and lol among the 242 done so far only serves to mess up the search function rather than assist it. Please try to tag responsibly to add value to posts..
Message 10 of 41