Community

giffgaffer's guide to Nokia Lumia

Started by: wman2
On: 26/01/2012 | 20:56
Replies: 142

Highlighted
by: wman2
on: 26/01/2012 | 20:56 edited: 21/10/2012 | 15:50

This seems to be a bit of a problematic range of phones so I have tried to write a guide for using giffgaff with them.

-----------------------------------------------

STEP 1

If you have the app called "Network Setup" already on your phone, skip straight to Step 3.

If you have WiFi available on your phone, skip straight to step 2.

Go to Settings.  Then press Mobile Network. Make sure Data Connection is set to On. Then press Add APN.  Input the following settings:

APN: giffgaff.com
Username: giffgaff
Password: password
Proxy Server/URL: {leave blank}
Proxy Port: {leave blank}

Press Save, then reboot your phone. The internet should now be set up.

STEP 2

Open the marketplace app:

marketplace.jpg

Tap Nokia Collection:

collection.jpg

Select the "Network Setup" app and install it.

STEP 3

Now go to Applications and open the "Network Setup" app as detailed below:

network.jpg

Now tap giffgaff on the list of operators, it should look like this:

network2.jpg

Now reboot your phone, and the settings for internet and MMS are set up!

Thanks to fiendishlyclever and andyeveringham for the input Smiley Happy

Short link to share with newbie giffgaffers: http://bit.ly/giffgafflumia

Message 1 of 143
by: u_ghafoor
on: 26/01/2012 | 21:03
I would be so annoyed if I had Lumia 800 since the 900 is coming out soon lol.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 143
on: 26/01/2012 | 21:04

u_ghafoor wrote:

Yeah, it would be the Lumia 910 in UK anyway as the 900 is just for CDMA networks Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 143
by: suppers_ready
on: 26/01/2012 | 21:34

@ wman2 - Mmmm, so you don't own one of these phones, and you you don't know if the information you have posted is just downright wrong...................., so why did you post the thread? 

Message 4 of 143
on: 26/01/2012 | 21:36

suppers_ready wrote:

@ wman2 - Mmmm, so you don't own one of these phones, and you you don't know if the information you have posted is just downright wrong...................., so why did you post the thread? 

Because I have used two friends' Lumias, both of which varied. I have compiled a set of instructions that have helped at least 2 other people get their devices set up, so I assume even if they don't include every detail, they are a guide as to what to do and should help.

Message 5 of 143
by: suppers_ready
on: 26/01/2012 | 21:51

wman2 wrote:

suppers_ready wrote:

Because I have used two friends' Lumias, both of which varied. I have compiled a set of instructions that have helped at least 2 other people get their devices set up, so I assume even if they don't include every detail, they are a guide as to what to do and should help.

Your thread implies a definitive guide for this phone, yet your posts question the validity of your own advice. If your advice works then all is good, if not then Nokia Lumia owners could be disappointed ......

Message 6 of 143
on: 26/01/2012 | 21:53

suppers_ready wrote:

wman2 wrote:

suppers_ready wrote:

Your thread implies a definitive guide for this phone, yet your posts question the validity of your own advice. If your advice works then all is good, if not then Nokia Lumia owners could be disappointed ......

I was simply trying to make the process of setting up the phone on giffgaff a little simpler, as I have said if someone finds an error in the guide they should let me know. Surely a guide albeit not a definitive guide is better than no guide...

Message 7 of 143
by: samsams88
on: 27/01/2012 | 00:04
@suppersready he does say he has tried and gives a disclaimer about him not owning a lumia - he's only trying to help so don't get so judgmental! kudos to you wman2 Smiley Happy
Get a free Giffgaff SimGet a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 143
by: u_ghafoor
on: 28/01/2012 | 23:58 edited: 29/01/2012 | 00:00

wman2 wrote:

u_ghafoor wrote:

Yeah, it would be the Lumia 910 in UK anyway as the 900 is just for CDMA networks Smiley Very Happy

Haha, thanks lol. The 800 is a sick phone I must say, absolute pleasure to use.

I still question the purpose of micro-sim technology though.

The, small Panasonics the size of AA batteries used normal sims just fine.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 143
by: owensjones
on: 26/02/2012 | 10:25

I'm another Lumia 710 owner who is having trouble with MMS...

I've followed these steps as far as ##634#, but there are no APN settings in the diagnostics menu that this brings up.

The only APN settings are under Settings > Mobile Network, but these only have options for:

APN

Username

Password

Proxy Server/URL

Proxy Port

Which I have completed as far as I can, but seemingly aren't enough for MMS to work Smiley Sad

Has anyone had any joy with MMS on the 710?

Message 10 of 143