Knowledge Base
Community

giffgaffer's guide to iPad

Started by: wman2
On: 23/12/2011 | 11:53
Replies: 208

by: wman2
on: 23/12/2011 | 11:53 edited: 01/07/2013 | 14:16

First, please note that you cannot use a goodybag with unlimited data on your iPad. This is strictly forbidden and your SIM will be blocked. Any other goodybag/a gigabag/normal credit is fine though.

First, Go to Settings, then WiFi, and turn WiFi off. This enables the internet settings to be successfully input.

Now, go to Settings again, then Cellular (if available), then Cellular/Mobile Data, and make sure Cellular/Mobile Data is switched on.

settings.png

Then choose Cellular/Mobile Data Network. In the boxes, type:

APN: giffgaff.com

Username: giffgaff

Password: password

apn.png

Now power off your iPad and switch it on again. The internet settings are now complete.

N.B. If the Cellular/Mobile Data tab does not appear, see this guide:http://www.bit.ly/iphonenocellulardata

Your iPad will say O2-UK as the carrier, because giffgaff uses O2's signal. If you would like to change the text to giffgaff, there's a long winded way of doing this which requires jailbreaking.  PM me if interested.

Also, the View Account button in Cellular/Mobile data will not work, but simply log onto your giffgaff username on the website to find out how many MB you have left.

o2.png

Screenshots courtesy of darrenpainter.

EDIT: Have added bit.ly link in case anyone wants to link to this guide: http://bit.ly/giffgaffipadsettings

Message 1 of 209
by: liamwli
on: 23/12/2011 | 11:57
Very nice indeed!
Message 2 of 209
by: kay_kenny
on: 15/01/2012 | 00:25
I can't get my sim card to work on my iPad 2 and when reading this post checked what I have got ibrowse.co.uk for the APN and the use name is browse and I haven't a clue what the password is. Is this why my sim card isn,t working. I have got the 02 symbolnin the top left hand corner so it's obviously connected somehow Appreciate any help Kay
Message 3 of 209
by: stan23
on: 15/01/2012 | 02:35
As wman2's post says you enter the above settings at the point your at. ie. APN :- GiffGaff Username:- GiffGaff Password:- password.
Message 4 of 209
by: joallen36
on: 15/01/2012 | 08:11

thanks, I'm so tempted to get another ipad.

Message 5 of 209
on: 15/01/2012 | 08:13 edited: 15/01/2012 | 08:17
@kay_kenny Can you change them to giffgaff.com, giffgaff, password then reboot

Or does it revert back to ibrowse when you reboot? If so see this guide http://Bit.ly/iphonenocellulardata
Message 6 of 209
by: kbmagic
on: 15/01/2012 | 12:34

Sorry you are wrong you dont need a gigabag to use an ipad you only need credit.

Its probably very wise to have a gigabag for most people.

I only use it away from home two or three days a year and only as a creditcard terminal so would use less than the amount allowed for 20p a day. My initial top up and £5 free credit  is goin to last me for  20+ years.

This link will get you a sim that converts to a micro sim just by popping it out.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 209
by: jas_agimal
on: 25/01/2012 | 19:49

I've changed the settings as shown in your post but still cannot get online.

Tried another iphone sim in my ipad and it worked straight away so i know its nothing to do with the hardware.

The O2 icon stays displayed in the corner of the screen. Have waited 24 hours but still no luck. I did get the sim card trimmed to size by my local mobile phone shop.

Can you please gelp...???

I have the £5 data sim plan only

Message 8 of 209
on: 25/01/2012 | 19:51

@jas_agimal wrote:

I've changed the settings as shown in your post but still cannot get online.

Tried another iphone sim in my ipad and it worked straight away so i know its nothing to do with the hardware.

The O2 icon stays displayed in the corner of the screen. Have waited 24 hours but still no luck. I did get the sim card trimmed to size by my local mobile phone shop.

Can you please gelp...???

I have the £5 data sim plan only

Have you made sure to reboot after changing the settings? After rebooting, are the settings still as you set them or have they reverted back?

Message 9 of 209
by: kathme2
on: 01/02/2012 | 18:18
Did all of that. Still got message from O2, thanks anyway
Message 10 of 209