Knowledge Base
Community

nuisance calls from India

Started by: cdubman
On: 13/11/2018 | 14:02
Replies: 12

by: cdubman
on: 13/11/2018 | 14:02

Like most people I'm now getting nuisance calls from India telling me I've got PPI money coming, wanting to fix a problem on my computer or asking if I've been in an accident.

They seem to route their calls via a number in the UK, I have had 0161, 01228, 0151 numbers showing as incoming calls so it's had to tell if they are genuine callers of this bogus Indian ones.

Now I've tried, being polite. tried wasting their time, tried being witty, tried being nasty even tried not answering!

Nothing stops them and I'm getting 2 or more a day.

Does anyone know how to stop these?

Or if anyone knows someonwho is helping them route their calls in UK ?

Message 1 of 13
by: davidevans0000
on: 13/11/2018 | 14:13
@cdubman looks like this company has a few numbers as a member has posted a thread in GD with a similar number beginning with 0161 all you can do is ask them to stop calling you.if you could block them then i think it would maybe still happen with other numbers.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 13
by: dartgirl
on: 13/11/2018 | 16:20
Get a Answer Phone. Set it to 2 rings. See if they leave a message.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 13
by: alexmccarthy1212
on: 13/11/2018 | 16:50
Thanks for participating
Message 4 of 13
by: defraybo2
on: 13/11/2018 | 18:29 edited: 15/11/2018 | 09:32

Hi @cdubman

Yes we all at sometime or another get these nuisance calls. You can block the number but they change the numbers on a regular basis so it will always continue, I personally believe the regulatory government body OFCOM need to get proactive in this area of abuse also the scam sign up subscription parasites that take a weekly payment without your express permission to do so.

I live in a local authority pensioner complex and we are surrounded by trading standards warning signs depicting the message "NO COLD CALLING ZONE. IT IS AN OFFENCE TO COLD CALL IN THIS COMMUNITY".

And you would be amazed the amount of door sales personnel who blatantly ignore it, some working for national utility companies who genuinely believe the sign does not refer to them. Absolutely true.

What I do now is check my screen and if the caller isn't in my contacts list I just hit "end call".  if they need to contact me they will leave a voicemail message or text me. Doing this seems reduce them to a small amount.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 13
by: django21
on: 14/11/2018 | 17:16
I only answer a number i recongise. Others i look online for the numbers and 95% of them are logged on nuisance calls websites!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 13
on: 15/11/2018 | 08:20
but as I work for myself I don't know if it's a new customer or a nuisance call. I received 4 yesterday.
Message 7 of 13
by: harrrrrry
on: 15/11/2018 | 11:48

@cdubman

If they're all from the same number, do a web search on the number.

If its a known nuisance caller you'll usually find lots of matches saying who it is, or at least what kind of caller it is. Then set up a phonebook entry with it named as NUISANCE so you know not to check it in future.

If it's a legitimate business, you'll probably get a match too, though you might have to try several variants of the number. Many companies don't use the official ofcom format (eg 020-xxxx xxxx for London numbers) so you might also have to try combinations like 0207-xxx xxxx.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 8 of 13
by: c_lockett
on: 15/11/2018 | 17:23
I get them from time to time but it’s only really started this year for some reason. I don’t answer and just keep blocking the numbers. They seem to come in clusters and then stop for awhile.
Just a fact of life I’m afraid. Nothing is private anymore, including your phone number.
Message 9 of 13
on: 16/11/2018 | 15:41
well, well
They phoned me today. So for once, I played along with it all. gave out wrong info, dob etc but just to see where it would lead.
After a good ten mins, I was put in touch with Whitehouse insurance in Halifax. Spoke to the guy in Yorkshire and after establishing the company name address and contact phone number. A few moments later, via company house website, I have the name and contact details of the CEO.
And so it started. one lovely 5 min phone call where I rang him, politely asked for my name and number not to be used again. He was a bit stuck for words and I reassured him that every time I get a phone call from a cold calling center in India then he will get a phone call from me.
What I didn't tell him is this. If I get one more phone call I will put his name, number and address on every website dealing with annoying cold calls from India.
'Back of the net' as Alan would say
Message 10 of 13