Community

scam

Started by: janetteevelyn
On: 24/02/2017 | 22:16
Replies: 22

Go to best answer
by: janetteevelyn
on: 24/02/2017 | 22:16

I was the subject of a scam by text today.  The scammer sent me a message saying "Hi this is (my daughter's name) and said she was in hospital with broken tibia and could I text an EE £20 voucher top up code.  Then said it had taken £15 for her products out of it so could I send another £20 voucher code and she would pay me the £40.  Found out tonight it was a scam but the scammer had my mobile phone number and my daughter's name.  It was very convincing.  I didn't know about this scam.  I am registed with CIFAS as was scammed last year on line and since then don't do any on line banking or buy anything on line (bank prevented money transfer, so didn't lose any money).  This time I've lost £40 but bank can't do anything as I bought the vouchers myself and texted the codes to the scammer.  EE can't do anything as the number the scammer used isn't any EE number.  I've reported to fraud squad on line.  Beware.

Message 1 of 23
by: django21
on: 24/02/2017 | 22:38
Thanks for letting us know
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 23
by: farnis
on: 24/02/2017 | 22:54
Scammers will stoop to any low level and personally I wouldn't respond to a text like that. On a lighter note I suppose it was only £40.
Message 3 of 23
by: mcilwraith
on: 24/02/2017 | 23:24
thanks for the heads up.it could catch people out very easily
but no way do I personally send anything in reply to a txt or an email
Message 4 of 23
by: navvy
on: 24/02/2017 | 23:34

@janetteevelyn

Thanks for the warning.  

Best to get your daughter onto giffgaff instead of EE.  If your daughter had asked for a giffgaff voucher you'd have known it was a scam immediately, as you can give her a topup direct to her correct number without needing a voucher.  The number would have been verified as a giffgaff number before making the payment, and if it was a scam then giffgaff agents would be able to trace the number afterwards.

Also, your daughter would have been able to phone or text you free even if she had no credit, provided she had topped up within the last 3 months.  So there wouldn't have been any reason to ask a stranger to text you.  (Did you not recognise that the text came from a different number - surely you would have texted the voucher number to your daughter's own number stored in your phone?)

I know this isn't EE's fault, but there are advantages to both being on the same network so that you know how it works, and can therefore recognise scams more easily.

Message 5 of 23
by: claw
on: 25/02/2017 | 00:09

With the combination of your numbers and daughters name I wonder if a rogue app has got the details.

Message 6 of 23
by: anu2222
on: 25/02/2017 | 08:18
Wow that's bad.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 23
by: frenchielove
on: 25/02/2017 | 08:33 edited: 25/02/2017 | 14:02

Thanks for the heads up @janetteevelyn

Message 8 of 23
by: janetteevelyn
on: 25/02/2017 | 09:11
Thank you. I have copied and pasted your advice to my daughters. Two of them are on GiffGaff. My youngest daughter is not on GiffGiff and this is the one I thought I had received the text from asking for EE Top up. The scammer knew my mobile phone number and my daughter's name. This was convincing. I was on a train and didn't use the phone to ring her because I am deft and wouldn't be able to hear it, so just texted her back. I got involved with this immediately thinking my daughter was in hospital with a broken leg and wanting to help straight away. It said it was from her and I should have gone out of the text and into my contacts to text her back. I didn't do that so that is why I was scammed. I made a mistake here. I wonder what mistakes I might make next? I am worried.
Message 9 of 23
by: jamie_hyman_webster
on: 25/02/2017 | 10:05

The first thing I would have texted back is "which hospital?" - chances are it's a local one to her wherever she is, and get someone you trust to ring around to check inpatients, given you're deaf.

Ask lots of questions to make sure what you're being told is correct. You have to stay one step ahead of these scammers.

Believe nothing until you've absolute proof.

Message 10 of 23