What are the goodybags and gigabags?
How goodybags and gigabags work, the benefits of them and how to get your hands on one.
What is a goodybag?
A goodybag is a bundle which contains a quota of UK minutes, texts and data. Goodybags last for up to one month and can be used only whilst you are in the UK.
Your goodybag allowance and your airtime balance are separate items. You can check your remaining goodybag minutes and expiry date by calling *100*7# from your giffgaff mobile or via 'My giffgaff'.
If you use all your goodybag's minutes, texts or data before the goodybag's expiry date, you will then be charged out of your airtime balance at the standard PAYG rate for calls and texts and 2p/MB for data (until the expiry date of your goodybag, after which you will be charged at the standard PAYG rate for data).
If you have less than 5 minutes of calls or 5MB of data remaining, you can instead decide to purchase another goodybag early, before the expiry date of the current goodybag.
What is a gigabag?
Our gigabag plans are data-only goodybags, for members who use a tablet or dongle, or who only require a data package on their phone, and are happy to pay standard PAYG rate for their calls and texts. A gigabag is not an add-on to an existing goodybag.
All of our gigabags come with a 50MB buffer.
If you purchase a gigabag and wish to make calls or texts from your phone, you will also need to add airtime credit to your account.
How can I buy them?
It's very easy to buy a goodybag or a gigabag, just follow these steps:
- Log in to your account
- Go to the top-up section
- Click "Select" on "goodybags" or "gigabags" as applicable
- Click 'Select' on the item that you want to add to your account
- If you wish to add more airtime credit at the same time, click 'Select' against the amount you wish to add (see note below). If you do not require more airtime credit now, review your basket and click on "I only need a goodybag"
- You are invited to recur your goodybag, see the 'Guide to recurring goodybags' for more information. If you added airtime credit in the previous step, you also have the option to turn on auto top-up. Review your basket again, then click "Continue"
- (a) If you wish to pay for your purchase using existing airtime credit, click the 'Exchange airtime credit' button at the top of the page - this will confirm your order. (See note below)
(b) If you wish to pay using a debit or credit card, complete your card details.
- Click on "Confirm order".
The items you've purchased will be immediately added to your giffgaff account and will be visible on the right hand side.
- If you usually use recurring goodybags, you must turn them off before buying a goodybag from credit
- The option to exchange airtime credit for a goodybag will not appear under the following circumstances, as these options require payment via debit or credit card:
- you do not have enough airtime credit to pay for the goodybag you've selected; or
- you add additional credit, to your basket; or
- you set your goodybag to recur
How can I buy a goodybag early?
If you run out of minutes or data in your current goodybag, you can purchase a new goodybag early. There are different ways to buy a goodybag early, depending on the result you want to achieve:
- You want your goodybag to be renewed automatically every month: you will need a recurring goodybag.
- You want to pre-purchase your next goodybag so it starts when your current goodybag expires: you will need a queued goodybag.
- You don't have any data or minutes left in your current goodybag and you want to buy a new one right now: you can buy a goodybag and start it early.
The third option, starting a new goodybag early, is only available when you have less than 5 minutes or 5MB left in your current goodybag, and at any time up to 9.00 p.m. on the expiry date of the current goodybag.
To purchase a goodybag early:
- Log in and go to My giffgaff
- If you have less than 5 minutes or 5MB left in your goodybag, a message will appear under "My goodybags"
- If you are recurring your goodybag, you can decide to recur your next goodybag right now,
- If you have a queued goodybag, you can decide to start your queued goodybag right now,
- If you have no recurring or queued goodybag, you can select a new goodybag to start right now.
- When you purchase a goodybag early, it erases your current goodybag and you will lose any remaining allowance, so we ask you to confirm you are really sure you want to start a new goodybag right now.
- When you select a new goodybag or recur your goodybag early, the payment for the new goodybag is taken at this point, and a payment confirmation page is displayed.
- Your new goodybag is active and is visible in My giffgaff.
Picture messages, calls to service, premium and other non-standard numbers and other services not included in the goodybag allowance will be debited from your airtime credit. See this article for a detailed list, and the UK pricing page for a breakdown of the different call and message costs.
Calls and texts to foreign numbers are not included in your goodybag, and are debited from your airtime credit. The detail of the rate for each location can be found on the international pricing page.
Your goodybag cannot be used when you are abroad. All your calls, texts or data usage that would normally fall under your goodybag allowance will be debited from your airtime credit and roaming rates apply.
- Guide to recurring goodybags
- Guide to queued goodybags
- Goodybag-inclusive calls, texts and services
- Pricing page
- Illegitimate Internet usage procedure