What is SIM Swap?
SIM Swap allows you to transfer your giffgaff number to a brand new SIM card including existing goodybags/gigabags and airtime credit.
- How does SIM Swap work?
- Can I use SIM Swap to replace my lost / stolen SIM?
- Additional information
- Handy Links
How does SIM Swap work?
SIM Swap is the process of replacing your existing SIM with a new SIM, moving your existing number etc to the new SIM.
(NB. SIM Swap does not change your number. To do that see this article instead).
Before you start, you'll need a giffgaff SIM to fit your phone which has never been activated.
For the best results use a SIM which is less than 6 months old.
If the SIM is over 6 months old you will receive an error message that says "We're temporarily unable to activate your SIM please try again later" or "The SIM can't be activated at this moment".
If you don't have an unactivated SIM, you can order a new SIM here.
To perform a SIM Swap:
- Back-up any contacts, texts and other data saved on your current SIM to your phone memory or PC, as this cannot be transferred through SIM Swap.
- Go to the Replace your SIM section of My giffgaff and click on 'Activate your SIM'.
If you have an active PAC code on your account then the link above will not work for you. Instead follow this link to perform a SIM swap and proceed from point 3.
- Enter the 6 digit activation code of the new SIM card, and click 'Continue'.
- This is where SIM Swap starts. It will ask you to confirm that you want to swap SIMs. (You'll need to double check the SIM Serial Numbers (SSN) to confirm you've logged into the correct account.)
- After choosing "Yes, I want to replace my SIM" then "Yes, I'm sure", your old SIM will be deactivated and activation of the new SIM will begin. This may take anything from a few minutes to 24 hours - the 'norm' is around 30 minutes.
- Once you have pressed 'Yes I'm sure' click the button to take you back to My giffgaff where your dashboard will look like this. Once the SIM is activated your goodybag/gigabag and airtime credit will show.
- Put the new SIM into your device. Turn the device OFF/ON at 30 minute intervals until you get a signal and the SIM starts working.
- You have completed SIM Swap! Enjoy.
If you have lost the plastic card on which the activation code was printed then simply click 'Can't find your activation code?' and enter the 13 or 19 digit SIM Serial Number instead.
The SIM Serial Number is printed on your SIM card just by the 3Ggg1 for 3G SIM cards or 4Ggg4 for 4G SIM cards. If you have a Nano SIM, enter 894411 followed by the 13 digit SIM Serial Number found on your SIM.
Can I use SIM Swap to replace my lost / stolen SIM?
When you lose your SIM card, you'll want to find the quickest solution to have your number back and SIM Swap looks like the best option.
It's only advised if you meet the two following conditions:
- You don't need to bar your phone
- You already have an unactivated giffgaff SIM
If you don't match these two conditions, you should order a replacement SIM through the Lost & Stolen procedure. As soon as you have ordered a replacement SIM, you will not be able to perform a SIM Swap.
If you try to perform a SIM Swap before receiving the replacement SIM it will fail, but your replacement SIM will be unaffected and you will still be able to activate the replacement SIM when it arrives.
- You can only do a SIM Swap between 4:30am and 9:30pm.
- Once started, SIM Swap is non-reversible (your old SIM will be deactivated and rendered useless).
- SIM Swap does not change your mobile number
- SIMs used in SIM Swaps do not qualify for, and will not generate any bonuses or payback points even when originally linked to an affiliate account
- SIM Swap replaces your existing SIM with the new one. Once completed the new SIM will have your phone number and any existing airtime credit, goodybag or gigabag on it. All account information will remain the same.
- How do I report my phone and/or SIM lost or stolen?
- Can I use SIM Swap to replace my SIM?
- Tip to fix a faulty SIM activation