What is the voicemail number? What are the different settings?
In this article, you will find everything about giffgaff voicemail and how to use it.
- Setting up your voicemail
- Voicemail commands
- Switching your voicemail ON/OFF
- Diverting your voicemail
- Voicemail pricing
- Going overseas
- Change your voicemail PIN
- Checking your voicemail from a landline or another mobile
- Changing the way you are notified about new messages
- The small print
- Handy Links
Here is a quick video that will guide you through all the steps.
If you would rather read about it check out the section below:
Setting up your voicemail
When you join giffgaff, your voicemail is automatically switched ON. You can access your giffgaff voicemail by dialling 443 from your giffgaff mobile, or on an iPhone with the giffgaff carrier file by pressing the voicemail button on the phone application. As well as checking messages, you can:
- Leave a personalised message. This is the message your callers will hear when you're not able to take their call.
- Set up a PIN - this protects your voicemail. You'll need to know your PIN to access your voicemail from another phone, and when you're overseas using a non 'CAMEL' network (Customised Application for Mobile network Enhanced Logic - this just means support of enhanced services like voicemail).
There has been some reported issues when setting up your PIN (PIN confirmation not accepted) simply go to your phone dialler select "settings" & disable "touch tones" this will solve this issue.
When you're listening to a message, you can:
- Press 1 to replay the message.
- Press 2 to save the message.
- Press 3 to delete the message.
- Press 8 to hear the message details (number, date and time of call).
Switching your voicemail ON/OFF
Your voicemail is automatically switched ON when you join giffgaff.
To change your voicemail settings, you need to use a few Network Shortcodes that you simply dial on your mobile and hit the SEND key (they don't cost anything to use).
- Switch ON: Short code is "1616" - Alternatively dial *004# then press the SEND key
- Switch OFF: Short code is "1626" - Alternatively dial #004# then press the SEND key
If you're not certain of the status, dial *#004# then press the SEND key to check
Switching voicemail OFF disables it, which means it changes the way the network deals with call diverts. When you switch voicemail OFF, it stops all calls going to your voicemail - this covers all call situations which are normally diverted to voicemail (i.e. when you don't answer a call, when you have your phone switched OFF or when you're on another call).
If you're using the code *004# and it says "command error"
- If switching ON, try to switch it OFF with #004# and then back on again with *004#
- If the above didn't work, then try *61*443# or *61*443*10*30# for no reply after 30 seconds. You could also try:
- *62*443# unavailable/no signal
- *67*443# busy
- *21*443# diverts calls immediately to voicemail (#21# to cancel)
Diverting your voicemail
If your voicemail is currently diverted to another number, you should first divert to giffgaff voicemail by dialling *004*443# then press the SEND key and you can then STOP or RE-ENABLE voicemail using the codes above.
While in the UK:
You're charged differently for calls to voicemail depending on whether your calls come from airtime credit or from a goodybag allowance.
- Not on a goodybag: 8p per call from airtime credit
- On an included-minutes goodybag: Your goodybag minutes will reduce by 1 minute. If you've run out of minutes, you'll be charged 8p per call from your top-up balance
When not in the UK:
When you're out of the UK, instead of the UK "per call" rate, you will be charged according to the roaming rate for a call.
For international roaming prices, check the International pricing page.
You may want to disable your voicemail so callers can't leave a message - remember to switch it back ON when you get back.
Some people prefer to divert all calls to voicemail - remember to set up your voicemail PIN before you leave; that way, when you dial your mobile number, you won't have to waste credit listening to set-up instructions as you will be charged per minute while roaming.
To access your voicemail when abroad
- Dial your mobile phone number
- You'll hear your usual greeting
- Press the star (*) key on your phone keypad
- You will be asked to enter your PIN followed by the hash (#) key
- You will hear the familiar voicemail welcome message
While you're overseas, it doesn't cost anything when someone leaves a voicemail message. It'll only cost if you retrieve it while you're away. Instead of the "per call" rate that you would pay in the UK, you'll be charged the roaming at a "per minute" rate. For international roaming prices, check the International pricing page.
Check here for more advice on what to do before you leave the country.
Change your voicemail PIN
Just dial 443 from your giffgaff handset and press *, followed by keys 4 - 4 - 1. You'll be prompted to enter your old PIN and then you can enter your new one.
If you haven't set up a PIN previously, when you first call 443 you'll be asked to enter a PIN.
This means that if you ever need to access your voicemail from another handset, you'll be able to enter this PIN and your voicemail will be protected from other people accessing it.
Forgotten your voicemail PIN?
If you've forgotten your PIN, then you can have it reset by texting the word RESET (case sensitive) to 802443. This won't work if you have your PIN protection switched ON.
If you have any problems, then you can always contact an agent.
Changing the voicemail number from 111 to 443
Due to government regulatory changes, we changed the voicemail to "443" which spells "GIF" on your handset.
If you have an older giffgaff SIM, prior to the change the number was "111", which is what will be stored in the SIM settings. If you want to know a bit more background, check out the Voicemail number change blog.
Checking your voicemail from a landline or another mobile
Once you've set up your PIN, it is easy to check your voicemail from any other phone.
Dial your mobile, wait for it to go to voicemail and hit the star key. A prompt will ask you to enter your PIN that you set up previously, followed by the hash (#) key.
Changing the way you are notified about new messages
You can change the way you are notified about new voicemail messages to receive a text message (SMS) instead of an icon appearing on your screen. To do this:
- Call 443
- Press * to get to the main menu
- Press 4 for Mailbox Settings
- Press 1 for Notification options
- Press 1 to enable text notifications
Now, when you get a voicemail, instead of the icon on your screen you'll get a text.
To switch back to on-screen notification, repeat the above and at step 5, press 3 to disable text notifications and enable the voicemail icon.
The small print
- Your voicemail messages are deleted after 30 days
- Your personalised greeting, PIN and other settings are reset if your voicemail is not checked at least once every 60 days