Knowledge Base
Community

giffgaff Handset Warranties

Started ‎13-02-2017 by
Modified ‎06-08-2018 by

This article will assist you to identify new, refurbished & marketplace handsets as well as explain the warranties that these handsets come with.

Please note: the warranty periods vary by device, manufacturer & the type of handset purchased (new, refurbished or marketplace handsets).

More Information

All new handsets purchased from giffgaff come with a standard manufacturer backed warranty. This means that should your handset develop a fault (excluding accidental or water damage) you can either return the handset for a repair (if required & decided upon by the engineers) to giffgaff or the original manufacturer within the warranty period.

The warranty periods of your new handset can vary from 12-24 months (1-2 years) dependant on the manufacturer. Please see the below table for more detailed information:

Manufacturer Handset Warranty Battery Warranty Charger Warranty Handsfree / Earphones Warranty (If included)
Alcatel 12 Months 6 Months 6 Months 6 Months
Apple 12 Months 12 Months 12 Months 12 Months
HTC 24 Months 12 Months 12 Months 12 Months
Huawei 24 Months 6 Months 6 Months 3 Months
LG 24 Months 24 Months 24 Months 24 Months
Motorola 12 Months 6 Months 6 Months 6 Months
Nokia * 12-24 Months 6-24 Months 6 Months 6 Months
Samsung 24 Months 12 Months 12 Months 6 Months
Sony 24 Months 12 Months 12 Months

12 Months

* The warranty offered by Nokia can vary depending on the Nokia device and the type of batteries (user-replaceable/ non-user-replaceable). Please check the manufacturer website for more details.

New handsets can only be purchased from https://giffgaff.com/mobile-phones these will be displayed as follows:

New Handset.pngThe above picture shows a typical NEW handset available for sale.

Please note: You can also purchase refurbished handsets from this page but these are clearly marked as "Refurbished" for more information on these handsets please see the refurbished section below.

In the unfortunate event that your handset develops a fault, you can either return the handset to giffgaff using our returns process or you can send / take it to the manufactures local repair centre. Please note that the following will apply with regards to your warranty expiry date:

• If my phone is repaired (but not replaced) WITHIN the first 30 days of purchase when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12-24 months (dependant on the handset purchased, please see the table above for exact warranty periods) from the date of the repair (In effect your warranty period will start afresh).

• If my phone is repaired (but not replaced) AFTER 30 days of your initial purchase date when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12-24 months (dependant on the handset purchased, please see the table above for exact warranty periods) from the date of your original purchase.

• If my phone is replaced WITHIN 30 days of purchase when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12-24 months (dependant on the handset purchased, please see the table above for exact warranty periods) from the date the handset is replaced. (In effect your warranty period will start afresh)

• If my handset is replaced AFTER 30 days of your initial purchase date when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12-24 months (dependant on the handset purchased, please see the table above for exact warranty periods) from the date of your original purchase.

All refurbished handsets purchased from giffgaff come with a standard 12 month (1 Year) giffgaff warranty.

You can purchase a giffgaff refurbished handset from here: https://giffgaff.com/mobile-phones these will be displayed as follows:

Refurbished Handset.pngThe arrow displayed in this picture will NOT be displayed on the handset purchase page.

All refurbished phones are in superb condition. These can be used phones that have been returned in near perfect condition or have gone through some level of refurbishment to improve their physical condition. There may be the odd mark or scratch but it will be barely noticeable. The phones have been checked and restored back to near their original state for re-sale.

All refurbished phones are shipped in plain cardboard boxes and come with a USB data cable, for charging via PC or mains. Our refurbished phones are NOT supplied with a mains adaptor and are not supplied with additional software or a phone guide, (downloadable from manufacturers website).

In the unfortunate event that your handset develops a fault, you can ONLY return the handset to giffgaff using our returns process. Your giffgaff warranty does NOT allow you to send it for repair with the manufacturer or any other repair centre.

Please note that the following will apply with regards to your warranty expiry date:

• If my phone is repaired (but not replaced) WITHIN the first 30 days of purchase when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12 months (1 Year) from the date of the repair (In effect your warranty period will start afresh).

• If my phone is repaired (but not replaced) AFTER 30 days of your initial purchase date when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12 months (1 Year) from the date of your original purchase.

• If my phone is replaced WITHIN 30 days of purchase when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12 months (1 Year) from the date the handset is replaced. (In effect your warranty period will start afresh)

• If my handset is replaced AFTER 30 days of your initial purchase date when will my warranty expire?

Your warranty will expire 12 months (1 Year) from the date of your original purchase.

All Marketplace (Pre-owned) handsets purchased from giffgaff come with a standard 6-month giffgaff warranty.

You can purchase a giffgaff Marketplace (Pre-owned) handset from here:https://giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/pre-owned these will be displayed as follows:

Marketplace Handsets.pngPlease note that the arrow shown above will not be displayed in the handset purchase page.

In the unfortunate event that your handset develops a fault, you can ONLY return the handset to giffgaff using our returns process. Your giffgaff warranty does NOT allow you to send it for repair with the manufacturer or any other repair centre. Please note that the following will apply with regards to your warranty expiry date:

Your warranty will expire 6 months from the date of the repair (In effect your warranty period will start afresh).

Your warranty will expire 6 months from the date of your original purchase.

Your warranty will expire 6 months from the date the handset is replaced. (In effect your warranty period will start afresh)

Your warranty will expire 6 months from the date of your original purchase.

Ask our community

Don't be shy. Ask one of our lovely members for help.
Our community won't let you down.

Ask a question