Hello from a not-really-noobie

Started by: sheddi
On: 05/12/2018 | 18:17
Replies: 11

Go to best answer
by: sheddi
on: 05/12/2018 | 18:17

Hello giffgaff, did you miss me?

Sorry, I should probably explain for the benefit of anyone who wasn't here seven years ago. I joined giffgaff when it was still a tiny thing, and spent a couple of years as a dedicated giffgaffer. However circumstances changed and I got a killer cashback deal on a contract phone, then moved onto other PAYG suppliers (most recently, one named after a number ...)

Anyway, I've recently bought a second-hand Huawei mifi-thing that's locked to O2 and remembered that I still have this giffgaff account alive with a positive credit balance. And so I'm back here like a bad rash Smiley Wink  with a question that only a noob (or someone who's been under a rock for five years) would ever ask.

Back in the day there were strict limits on tethering or using data modems if you had a goodybag, and you could only tether on classic PAYG or one of the dedicated data-only gigabags. Looking at the current offering I can't see anything resembling a gigabag, nor can I find any mention of data modems or mifis in the help pages (although, to be fair, I can't find very much; the site has changed a lot since 2013).

So my question is, what's the current position regarding goodybags and mifis? Can I buy a goodybag and use it carefree in my mifi, or do I need to pay 5p/Mb on PAYG?

If you want kudos (and assuming that's still a thing) don't just give me an answer, provide a link to the page with the terms and conditions that spell this all out in excruciating detail for a nearly-noob like me Smiley LOL

So, off you go!

Giffgaff's company motto: Communication is our business, not our strong point.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
To order a SIM from me (go on, you know you want to), click here: Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 12
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: jokeyboi77
on: 05/12/2018 | 18:28

Hello @sheddi

I remember you buddy because I was around at the time, you can tether with all goodybags now and here's giffgaff's Tethering Policy to prove it. Welcome back to giffgaff. 🙂

Message 2 of 12
by: jokeyboi77
on: 05/12/2018 | 18:28

Hello @sheddi

I remember you buddy because I was around at the time, you can tether with all goodybags now and here's giffgaff's Tethering Policy to prove it. Welcome back to giffgaff. 🙂

Message 2 of 12
by: mijthebarber
on: 05/12/2018 | 18:39
Hello @sheddi nice to see you back ,, giffgaff has changed a bit but its still pretty awesome
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 12
by: bobrobinson
on: 05/12/2018 | 18:45

images.png

@sheddi

Yep i remember you too as ive been here coming up 8 years now and still loving it here.

As all goodybags  have unlimited minuits £10 and over  with some great data with it then maybe you could tether your phone which im sure would be a good idea.

Please see the list of goodybags that is on offer

https://giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

All the best BobSmiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 12
by: clikasarus
on: 05/12/2018 | 19:11
Hi @sheddi welcome back to giffgaff and the community

•Here is the policy on tethering

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning-and-giffgaffer-articles/Tethering-policy/ta-p/7816336

hope this helps👍🏻
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 12
by: 4128334
on: 05/12/2018 | 19:19 edited: 05/12/2018 | 19:20

@sheddi
Good Evening,
Welcome back to giffgaff.
You will find a number of changes since you left
I hope you have received the answer to your question from other members so I will not repeat it.
Have a Great Evening.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 12
by: natty88
on: 05/12/2018 | 19:32

@sheddi welcome back you can tether on any goody bags even the always on one but a traffic flow policy applies after the twenty gigs where if use to much you'll be asked to cut usage down or face a 93days ban from buying it 

Also any devices that are ON 02 will work as its a mifi unit you'll likely need to alter the settings to match giffgaff ones for dongles here dongle settings 

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Settings-for-your-device/Dongle-Settings/ta-p/4273141 hopefully that helps out 

Oh the username and password for it are found below battery cover usually 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 12
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 05/12/2018 | 19:37

2018-12-05-19-34-58.jpg

@sheddi

Great links again👍and it's still the same friendly community 

Take care

Yvonne 

Message 8 of 12
by: sheddi
on: 05/12/2018 | 19:40 edited: 05/12/2018 | 19:45

Wow, some great answers from you all!

Thanks for reminding me how wonderful the giff community can be Heart and, between me and others, everyone has shared the love and received some kudos!

Edit to add: I've bought my goodybag and am looking forward to some mifi streaming in the near future Smiley Happy

Giffgaff's company motto: Communication is our business, not our strong point.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
To order a SIM from me (go on, you know you want to), click here: Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 12
by: themzbiker
on: 05/12/2018 | 20:07
@sheddi

A very warm welcome back to giffgaff

it's the old saying that the grass isn't greener on the other side

I've seen some of my lovely fellow members have answered your question

so it just a case of me just to say welcome back to the madhouse (joking) our giffgaff family
Message 10 of 12