Knowledge Base
Community

Top things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff

Started by: ragnorak
On: 03/09/2011 | 17:24
Replies: 42

by: ragnorak
on: 03/09/2011 | 17:24 edited: 24/12/2015 | 04:12

Just thought I'd write a thread for those new to giffgaff who may be reading this forum. Smiley Happy

Things you get free for being on giffgaff:

1. Firstly, you get £5 credit free to say thanks for joining the network once you've made your first top up or goodybag purchase of £10 or more. Note that you'll only get this free credit if you order a SIM via a member's promotional link, however these can be found easily in most users' forum signatures.

2. Once you've got your giffgaff SIM topped up you'll find you have your first free allowance - unlimited calls, video calls and texts to other giffgaff numbers! This lasts for 3 months but can be renewed at any time just by making another top up or goodybag purchase. This is a blessing for families as it could drastically cut the amount you spend on communicating with each other. Also if there's someone in particular you spend a lot of time talking to or texting (maybe a gf or bf) you could convert them to giffgaff or even just give them a spare phone with a giffgaff SIM. Don't forget the free video calls - no other network offers this. In all this is by far the best-value deal you'll find for on-net calls and texts!

3. If all that isn't enough, how does the prospect of free money sound? You can earn Paypal cash by introducing people to the network or by regularly making helpful posts here on the community. It may sound hard to believe, but it doesn't take a great deal of effort to earn back the cost of a £10 top up and many who are active on the community earn much more. Giffgaff only manages to make a profit because the vast majority of customers choose not to take advantage of this generous system.

So that's a summary of what you get free, but how about the other stuff that giffgaff is cheapest for?

1. If you spend £7.50 or more per month on a pay as you go (PAYG) network, there's no other provider that will give you more for your money than giffgaff. No competitor's deal out there can match the £7.50 goodybag for value on a prepay basis for UK usage, or the higher value goodybags for that matter. And if you do exceed the generous amount of minutes in your goodybag you can rest assured you won't be charged a fortune for the extra minutes.

2. Giffgaff has some of the very best rates available for international calls and texts, and unlike some other networks aimed at international callers they won't disconnect your number and steal your credit if you fail to make a call for 2-3 months.

3. Giffgaff has the best value bundle for unlimited data at £20 per month. The 3 network is the only other network to offer unlimited data, but for the same money you only get 300 minutes with that bundle compared to unlimited minutes with giffgaff. Also if you're only a moderately heavy data user then all of the goodybags are in the top tier of deals available for mobile data, even compared to contract offers.

4. Giffgaff has the cheapest MMS rate at 16p per message.

5. Texting while roaming outside Europe is cheaper on giffgaff than on other networks, just 30p per SMS,

I hope this independent guide to the positives of giffgaff will help shape your choice. Robot Happy
These are the reasons why I believe everyone should have a phone on giffgaff.

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 1 of 43
by: rochessel
on: 03/09/2011 | 17:33
Thanks Smiley Wink I didn't know that about fb and twitter...good to know.

So even tho standard rate for texts and calls esp landline calls might be cheaper with a few otha networks there is still lots of good stuff to on offer with gg
Smiley Wink

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Message 2 of 43
on: 03/09/2011 | 17:44

@rochessel wrote:
Thanks Smiley Wink I didn't know that about fb and twitter...good to know.

So even tho standard rate for texts and calls esp landline calls might be cheaper with a few otha networks there is still lots of good stuff to on offer with gg
Smiley Wink

Yep if you're a very low user and/or you mainly call landlines it's possible to find a cheaper deal for that. I'm just highlighting the positives Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 43
on: 03/09/2011 | 17:52
Yep I know... Hence why I wrote still lots of good stuff to offer Smiley Wink
& pleased about fb and twitter Smiley Wink
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Message 4 of 43
by: diamond222
on: 03/09/2011 | 17:59
nice oneSmiley Happy
~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*``*~*

Free giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 43
by: idrisdragon
on: 03/09/2011 | 18:17 edited: 03/09/2011 | 18:19

@ragnorak wrote:
4. Giffgaff has the cheapest per-day rate for using mobile internet - only 20p for up to 20MB each day. You only pay this on days you actually use it, so it's ideal for irregular users. If you're a heavy user then the £10 goodybag is the best deal going for truly unlimited data.

It is a long way from truly unlimited.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/Unlimited-internet-limited/m-p/152...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 43
on: 03/09/2011 | 18:23

@idrisdragon wrote:

@ragnorak wrote:
4. Giffgaff has the cheapest per-day rate for using mobile internet - only 20p for up to 20MB each day. You only pay this on days you actually use it, so it's ideal for irregular users. If you're a heavy user then the £10 goodybag is the best deal going for truly unlimited data.

It is a long way from truly unlimited.

Okay, so if you hit 20GB in a month then giffgaff will question your usage and perhaps block you temporarily. In practical terms though it's arguably unlimited for mobile-only usage, hence most people here still call it truly unlimited. If you don't mind paying £5 more each month then the 3 network will let you get away with over 80GB, but that's the only other network that offers "truly unlimited" on prepay.

Message 7 of 43
on: 03/09/2011 | 18:32
Most people wont go over 20 so most are happy! However I'm always lil weary of saying truely unlimited.
3does offer good net just depends if you get good signal. I love my skype so I've been keeping 3on the go aswell lol.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Message 8 of 43
on: 03/09/2011 | 18:38

@rochessel wrote:
Most people wont go over 20 so most are happy! However I'm always lil weary of saying truely unlimited.
3does offer good net just depends if you get good signal. I love my skype so I've been keeping 3on the go aswell lol.

I also keep a 3 SIM active as it has one of my favourite numbers plus I don't want to lose the valuable Flat 12 tariff. Skype hasn't worked for a while on my Sony Ericsson K770i though. Smiley Sad I think they stopped it for older phones.

Message 9 of 43
on: 03/09/2011 | 19:25
I had an old sony on 3 too lol can't remember which one, yea they have updatted the way they get skype now so alot of old phones haven't got it anymore sadly. And some smart phones cant get it free anymore Smiley Sad. But you do seem to get very good signal with skype with them.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Message 10 of 43