Will Giffgaff work with an iphone 2G?

Started by: halloweenjack
On: 24/01/2011 | 12:47
Replies: 3

Go to best answer
by: halloweenjack
on: 24/01/2011 | 12:47

Hi folks,

I'm just seeing if I can get my old iphone 2G working for my wife. I don't know much about this sort of thing, I've always been on contract, so bare with me Smiley Happy

1) Will the giffgaff sim (I was thinking of the £10 one) work with that phone?

2) It's currently unlocked and running 3.1 I think. Will I be able to update it in itunes or will I have to unlock it again?

3) Do I just need to put more money on it when the minutes run out?

4) At what point do the texts and internet run out? How often will I need to put more money on it. She doesn't use it much, perhaps 120mins, 60 texts and minimal internet access each month.

5) Will she be able to keep her current number?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: sonesor
on: 24/01/2011 | 12:56 edited: 24/01/2011 | 12:57

@halloweenjack wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm just seeing if I can get my old iphone 2G working for my wife. I don't know much about this sort of thing, I've always been on contract, so bare with me Smiley Happy

Yes will work fine. You just need to order a standard sim or even one of the ones with £5 free credit advertised on the banners in peoples signatures below their posts

2) It's currently unlocked and running 3.1 I think. Will I be able to update it in itunes or will I have to unlock it again?

Depends how it it unlocked. If its a jailbreak/unlock type thing then every time you update the firmware it will reapply the lock.  If its factory unlocked or has been unlocked with a proper code from a carrier, then it will always stay unlocked

Yes once minutes are used you can just use it as a normal PAYG service until you start your next goodybag

4) At what point do the texts and internet run out? How often will I need to put more money on it. She doesn't use it much, perhaps 120mins, 60 texts and minimal internet access each month.

The minutes run out when you use the last one, or after the month period from when you bougt the bag, whichever is sooner. If your mins run out before the end of that month period you cant start another goodybag until that month period is over

Yes you can easily transfer your number in to giffgaff. See here http://support.giffgaff.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/kw/transfer%20your%20number/r_id/166

Thanks Smiley Happy

CLICK ABOVE TO ORDER A SIM / MICROSIM WITH £5 FREE CREDIT
Message 2 of 4
by: sonesor
on: 24/01/2011 | 12:56 edited: 24/01/2011 | 12:57

@halloweenjack wrote:

Hi folks,

Yes will work fine. You just need to order a standard sim or even one of the ones with £5 free credit advertised on the banners in peoples signatures below their posts

Depends how it it unlocked. If its a jailbreak/unlock type thing then every time you update the firmware it will reapply the lock.  If its factory unlocked or has been unlocked with a proper code from a carrier, then it will always stay unlocked

Yes once minutes are used you can just use it as a normal PAYG service until you start your next goodybag

The minutes run out when you use the last one, or after the month period from when you bougt the bag, whichever is sooner. If your mins run out before the end of that month period you cant start another goodybag until that month period is over

Yes you can easily transfer your number in to giffgaff. See here http://support.giffgaff.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/kw/transfer%20your%20number/r_id/166

Thanks Smiley Happy

CLICK ABOVE TO ORDER A SIM / MICROSIM WITH £5 FREE CREDIT
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
by: xmob
on: 24/01/2011 | 12:56
I'm using a giffgaff SIM in an iPhone 2G and it works fine. Obviously, you don't get the 3G data speeds but everything else works.
Message 3 of 4
by: halloweenjack
on: 24/01/2011 | 13:06

Great! Thanks guys. I'll order one then Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 4