Knowledge Base
Community

queueing 'goodybags' and credit to ensure continued service?

Started by: sdss
On: 27/04/2011 | 22:23
Replies: 18

by: sdss
on: 29/04/2011 | 16:57

@rong42 wrote:

keep an eye on this thread in the ideas section:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Auto-Renewing-Goodybags/idi-p/12166

thanks for the link.

although it does give me cause for grave concern regarding GiffGaff and considering them as an option - they have clearly been considering this idea for almost a year now and have already missed their own deadline of "the first quarter of 2011"

the implementation of such a change is totally within the control of GiffGaff (it wouldn't require any input with regards to o2 nor with regards to financing etc) and would be likely to encourage other people from joining GiffGaff - i just wonder how serious they are about things when it takes so long for ideas like this to be implemented.

Message 11 of 19
by: rong42
on: 29/04/2011 | 18:08

@sdss wrote:

@rong42 wrote:

keep an eye on this thread in the ideas section:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Auto-Renewing-Goodybags/idi-p/12166

thanks for the link.

although it does give me cause for grave concern regarding GiffGaff and considering them as an option - they have clearly been considering this idea for almost a year now and have already missed their own deadline of "the first quarter of 2011"

the implementation of such a change is totally within the control of GiffGaff (it wouldn't require any input with regards to o2 nor with regards to financing etc) and would be likely to encourage other people from joining GiffGaff - i just wonder how serious they are about things when it takes so long for ideas like this to be implemented.

i would image that the whole data billing platform implementation and data issues have taken priority at the moment over everything else

Message 12 of 19
by: goonerrick
on: 29/04/2011 | 18:52

I understand what you're asking, but unfortunately at the moment giffgaff don't offer this. You do have to manually log in and buy a goodybag every month. Personally I actually like this as it adds to the flexibility of giffgaff. You don't have to buy the same goodybag each month. If you know you will be using more/less minutes in a particular month then you can adjust what you buy accordingly, but I do appreciate that for some people who don't participate in the forums on here then remembering to top up/buy a goodybag might be a problem. 

If I can I will point out things about the way giffgaff operates that might help you and other things which its useful to know.

If you have balance notifications enabled in My giffgaff then at the end of every call you make you will get a message stating how many minutes you have left and when the goodybag runs out. 

At the moment you cannot buy a goodybag on the day the old one runs out so you need to have one queued before this, or you can't buy one until 8 o'clock the following day. 

I'm sure you're aware that its better to get a SIM either from a friend, or by clicking on one of the banners at the bottom of these messages as that way when you top up with £10 or more you will get £5 free credit. 

It is useful to have some credit in addition to a goodybag as calls to some numbers and mms messages aren't included. 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 19
on: 29/04/2011 | 20:53
thanks for the input rong 42 and for taking the time to explain other things goonerrick

BUT the real question for GiffGaff is whether it wishes to remain a niche PAYG service provide with a slight difference or whether it does wish to actively encourage additional customers/business/profits.

at the end of the day i was merely looking for a better deal for my mobile (on the o2 simplicity contract at about £30 for 1200 minutes and paying about £50 a month).... i found GiffGaff. It offers the best deal at the moment without a doubt.

There are thousands of others like me - people that don't want tie to a contract, are fairly flexible, don't like the complications of a long term contract but have opted for that rather than constantly monitoring credit. It does look like it has been an expanding area (possibly in response to increasing length of contracts).

I cannot believe GiffGaff have not prioritised auto-'Goodybags'...it makes perfect business sense - not merely because of the above comments but because:
- assuming people tend to over estimate their usage of minutes - the more people on each of the 'goodybag' packages, the greater the number of minutes not used per subscribed package (more profit)
- the more 'goodybags' purchased - the more money upfront (helps with cashflow, as i assume o2 has required some sort of bond but otherwise bills for usage use).

I guess what it comes down to is how much extra am i willing to pay to avoid the inconvenience of always double checking how things stand with the 'goodybag' ... i am certain that i will not be the only potential customer that rates this convenience at worth a few quid at least.

It seems bizarre that on the face of it, GiffGaff is unable or unwilling to actually invest proper time (and money) into making changes that will bring it increased returns (nevermind that they have been requested by members over a year ago).

It's also odd that in the 2nd quarter of last year they would agree that it's a good idea and advise customers that they would make the relevant changes and then miss their own deadline of 1st quarter of 2011.

I appreciate most of the people here are hardcore GiffGaff users BUT you must not forget that the potential customer is not - i simply don't care if you're the friendliest or most helpful community on the planet - i merely want to be able to make phone calls and texts in the most efficient and cost efficient manner ... it does look like GiffGaff cannot or will not implement the changes to ensure that.
Message 14 of 19
by: maccyg
on: 30/04/2011 | 19:44

I know what you mean about having to log on every month and this maybe taking time, but it honestly only takes a minute or two and like another poster said, it allows you the flexibility to chop and change your goody bag.  If you're going on holiday for a couple of weeks then maybe you will drop down to a cheaper goody bag that month.

I find that by having to log on to buy a new goody bag I also tend to have a look at the community forum and will often find out  new tips or information and have also managed to accrue payback (which will translate to credit) for answering forum posts.

Message 15 of 19
on: 30/04/2011 | 22:50
thanks for the reply maccyg

but you kind of make my point again though - how many people are like you and can 'forgive' the effort that is required ... and how many people can be bothered taking the time to post for a few pence worth of credit?
the answer is relatively fewer than the majority that simply don't care.
Message 16 of 19
by: rong42
on: 01/05/2011 | 21:34

@sdss wrote:

It seems bizarre that on the face of it, GiffGaff is unable or unwilling to actually invest proper time (and money) into making changes that will bring it increased returns (nevermind that they have been requested by members over a year ago).

It's also odd that in the 2nd quarter of last year they would agree that it's a good idea and advise customers that they would make the relevant changes and then miss their own deadline of 1st quarter of 2011.

i agree with you that its very disappointing that they missed their own deadline, and, what's worse in my opinion, have said nothing about it and not told us what is going on (which gg are usually decent at, imo).  but we only know a limited amount of information, and dont know exactly what has been happening behind the scenes (they may be investing time and effort for all i know, but have hit technical difficulties or whatever).

have you made a final decision about using gg yet?

Message 17 of 19
by: nutellajunkie
on: 01/05/2011 | 23:32

@sdss wrote:

Lets be honest here, great word choice has never been a prominent thing around here..
Its your opinion that GG is unable/unwilling to invest proper time and money. If this was a true case, then we would be simply jiggered. Remember its a virtual network, Im guessing there is only so much can be done without rooting the little box that controls it all...
Priority is with things that have high priority, and making the network better is going to be a little more higher up there.. And besides, where did you read that members had a higher priority than increased returns? Thats just preposterous Smiley Wink

You cannot help anybody who is unwilling to, or incapable of, helping themselves. This applies equally to drug addicts, alcoholics and Giffgaff'ers! - Please use the search option before asking for help. No doubt you will find what you are looking for! You will learn so much whilst doing that also. -- You are entitled to judge me in any manner, if you feel you must. You do this with no understanding of me as an individual and therefore your assessment is naturally flawed.

Message 18 of 19
on: 02/05/2011 | 22:02

@rong42 wrote:

have you made a final decision about using gg yet?

I'm still pondering on all the options ... think i'll have to wait elsewhere in the meantime because of the uncertainty with GG.

@nutellajunkie wrote:

@sdss wrote:

Lets be honest here, great word choice has never been a prominent thing around here..
Its your opinion that GG is unable/unwilling to invest proper time and money. If this was a true case, then we would be simply jiggered. Remember its a virtual network, Im guessing there is only so much can be done without rooting the little box that controls it all...
Priority is with things that have high priority, and making the network better is going to be a little more higher up there.. And besides, where did you read that members had a higher priority than increased returns? Thats just preposterous Smiley Wink

I appreciate that they don't have entire control of the network BUT i suspect all aspects of the credit control are well within their power - as i suggested earlier, a crude workaround could be put in place (allowing more than a month of 'goodybags' in advance to be queued and allowing an auto-topup to be triggered by such a queue would have this effect or alternatively allowing a higher than £3 minimum balance (to ensure that there's credit for the 'goodybag' at the end of the month - e.g. selected 'goodybag' value plus £3).  My point is that there are options .... but the customer, or potential customer, is kept completely in the dark.

Message 19 of 19