COMPETITION - Why is knowing your credit score important? - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Started by: juan_p
On: 26/07/2017 | 16:22
Replies: 67

by: juan_p
Community Manager

on: 26/07/2017 | 16:22 edited: 03/08/2017 | 16:46

Hi all,

We will be revamping the Free Credit Report dashboard sometime next month (don’t worry, we’ll share more info on this closer to the date) and apart from integrating the community directly into the new dashboard, we also want to give a shout-out to our members.

That’s why we’re asking for your help and adding a little prize for your troubles.

From all the wonderful feedback on the credit report you have all provided through the forums and PMs, most of you have found it very useful and we want you to help us spread the word further with a few inspiring quotes.

So, the real question is:

“Why is knowing your credit score important to you?”

We want to know how you find knowing your score useful and if it has helped you achieve or aim for a specific goal.

From all the answers that we receive on this post, we will be including and highlighting the best ones on our new dashboard. We will also be giving away 3,000 payback point to one lucky member chosen at random.

All you need to do is drop a reply with your quote or story and we will announce the winner on the 3rd of August on this post (and sending a confirmation via PM).

Have a think and post your best ideas here and you might walk away with 3,000 payback points next week!

EDIT - We have our winner!

We are happy to announce that the winner of this competition is @louqmanali1786.

Thank you all for giving us a helping hand and join me in congratulating our competition winner. 

Click to reveal

giffgaff Money Free Credit Report competition T&Cs

By submitting your entry, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions.

Eligibility:

• To be eligible you must be a UK resident (but not if you're a giffgaff employee, one of their family, or connected in any other way with this Competition.). You must also be a registered member of giffgaff.com in order to claim your payback prize.
  • Third party entries, bulk entries or entries submitted on the behalf of others are not eligible to enter.
  • We (giffgaff) reserve the right to check all entrants are actually eligible, and we reserve the right to require such information as we consider reasonably necessary in order to do that. If we're not satisfied, you are unable to be a winner.

How to enter:

• To participate Eligible Members must write an original post, submitted for publication on the giffgaff.com community giffgaff money forum board between 00:01 26th July 2017 and 00:00 3rd August 2017 (“Promotional Period”).
  • Entries must be submitted via our giffgaff money board.
  • All entries must be relevant to the Free Credit Report competition and follow the formatting restrictions of our forum.
  • Entries must be the honestly held opinion or content written by the Participant.
  • Entries must conform to Community Forum guidelines which you can find here and must not include profanity or language that could be offensive or unsuitable for a family audience.
  • Entries will be moderated against the guidelines. If an entry infringes any of our guidelines it will be withdrawn from publication. Unpublished entries  withdrawn from publication are not eligible to enter.

Judging & Disqualification Criteria and the Prize

• There will be 1 (one) Winner selected from all submitted entries in the Promotional Period. The winner will be decided at random.
  • The Winner will be contacted/ notified by Private Message through the giffgaff community and announced on the giffgaff money forum board.
  • There is 1 (one) prize available which is 3,000 Payback Credits. Payback credits will be applied to the Winner’s Payback account within the next applicable Payback period. Credits can only be used in accordance with the Payback Rules. No cash or alternatives are available.
  • You can submit as many entries as you want. If you submit more than one entry during the period of competition, the decision of which entry is your valid entry rests with community staff. Entries not complying with these terms and conditions will be invalid.
  • We can and will reject any entry, and/or disqualify any winner or entrant, if we think that the entry is defamatory, indecent or violates or infringes any third party’s rights.

Other important terms:

• You shall retain exclusive ownership of all Intellectual Property Rights in regards to your entry. You can read more about our terms on this and our rights to use your pieces under point 8.6 here
  • The list of winners will be posted publicly on the Community.
  • Winners may be required to participate in publicity connected with this Competition. If you enter, you agree to your name being made publicly available if you win.
  • In the event of fraud, abuse, and/or an error affecting the proper operation of this Competition, we reserve the right to end or suspend the Competition; amend these terms & conditions; declare void the notification of winner(s); and/or to allocate the Prize by conducting a simple draw from all entrants. 
  • If any provision of these terms and conditions is held invalid by any law, rule, order or regulation of any government, or by the final determination of any court of a competent jurisdiction, such invalidity shall not affect the enforceability of any other provisions not held to be invalid.
  • Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
  • We reserve the right to suspend, cancel or amend the promotion and/or review and revise these terms and conditions at any time without giving prior notice and by continuing to take part in the promotion subsequent to any revision of these terms and conditions, entrants shall be deemed to have agreed to any such new or amended terms.
  • This promotion is governed by English Law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.

The promoter of this Competition is giffgaff (that's us), Hertz House, 11 Vine Street, Uxbridge, UB81QE

Message 1 of 68
by: susanwilson80
on: 26/07/2017 | 18:08
So you can improve your credit score (if required) before applying for a big loan or mortgage, without affecting your credit rating.
Message 2 of 68
by: jjayleon
on: 26/07/2017 | 18:18

If you're planning a big financial move, it's important to be ahead of the game - you don't want the people you're trying to convince to work with you on the matter to be the ones to find any problems before you've even had chance to sort them out!

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Don't be frightened; these things never last. Maybe tomorrow, your time will have passed.
Message 3 of 68
by: davidevans0000
on: 26/07/2017 | 18:34
I have a good credit score it's 956 yet companies have turned me down for credit how strange.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 68
by: clinteastwood43
on: 26/07/2017 | 19:10 edited: 26/07/2017 | 21:33

Hey Juan and everybody .

A very good evenings .

Firstly a big thankyou to giffgaff money 

for providing a free credit card report .

And this is a very worthwhile thing to be

looking at doing folks .

I think when it comes to our finances it is 

important to have a Battle Plan .

And checking into our past history & all 

our dealings with partners & companies 

is very important & can affect our credit

history .

May be a simple thing 

1) Are we all on the voters list .

As banks and lenders will always check 

that your real & use this for indentify .

2) Have we closed down old credit cards

store cards direct debits & those deadly 

mobile phone contracts .

3) Not getting into the Red with the late 

repayments .

Morgages ulitility bills council tax etc .

4) Consolidating applications 

Too many applications can go against

us and seem dodgy .

5) Active current history 

Having a history on your credit card &

a regular pattern of payments can be 

seen as healthy & lenders can see us 

managing money responsibility .

6) Separate credit builder card

Can be a really good way to save into & 

boast ones credit card rating & to curry

favour with lenders .

These are a few things I feel with hold us

in good stead and I am sure you would all

agree we all need to be more organized &

try our best and aim to debt free guys .

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 68
by: gsklb04
on: 26/07/2017 | 19:56

The main reason you need to know your credit score, may not interest most people ( mostly the young ones ) 

but its best to keep it good now for later in life, just little things can help, if you having a credit card or even a phone contract can help your credit history and build it up for you. 

But always always remember to pay it of in FULL. 

https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gsklb04
Message 6 of 68
by: clinteastwood43
on: 26/07/2017 | 20:09

gsklb04 wrote:

The main reason you need to know your credit score, may not interest most people ( mostly the young ones ) 

but its best to keep it good now for later in life, just little things can help, if you having a credit card or even a phone contract can help your credit history and build it up for you. 

But always always remember to pay it of in FULL. 

Hey geoff Smiley Happy

Good evenings Smiley Happy

Hope you are feeling a bit better 

matey Smiley Happy

Excellent advice as always my 

friend Smiley Happy

And paying off your Credit Card 

in Full is so so Important .

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 68
by: juan_p
Community Manager

on: 27/07/2017 | 13:41
Some nice entries so far! Keep them coming Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 68
by: isabel1066
on: 27/07/2017 | 14:32
for years we never did a credit score check we always had no problems getting credit.but when you have a look it gives a lot of info and tells you if any mistakes that banks building society's etc add to your credit score.then you can contact them to get this info corrected.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 68
by: kitttykati
on: 27/07/2017 | 16:00
So i used my credit report to help me understand my likelihood of getting a mortgage at 23. I was important to track who was searching my credit report as we applied for all sorts of things, and manage the way i was viewed as a customers.

Thankfully ive always been pretty money savvy, so i had no problems. But a colleague didn't understand why he was being offered such expensive rates when he was house hunting. So i got him to check his score. it was low. Having used mine so much i was able to help him increase his.
Message 10 of 68